"So take this broken offering and make me whole,
Set my feet upon the road that leads me home,
let me walk as one fixed upon the goal,
even though I've got a thousand miles to go..."

Wednesday, January 31, 2007

Making time

Work has been really busy lately - there's the pressure to get the numbers, which means the pressure to implement new strategies and keep up student contacts like before. I'm not complaining; in fact, this makes my days feel productive and go by quickly, but I haven't had much time to update! I have, however, been composing blog ideas in the car, so here are some things I've been thinking lately:

1. I really like country music now. Don't laugh, I know I was never a fan before moving here, but I've come to appreciate the generally wholesome messages. Last week, I made a point to keep track of the songs I heard on my way to work one morning, and all five mentioned God or church or prayer. Three of those songs held faith as a central point, and the other two were no less genuine in their references. I'm not saying the messages are always like that, but I've found most ounty songs tend focus on things like family and lifetime commitments rather than one-nighters and promiscuity.

2. Certain things are very satisfying, like the crashing sound the grocery cart makes when you roll it into the parking lot's cart corral. Or spraying the dirt off a filthy white car. Or sipping a cup of hot chocolate.

3. We're looking for a house! We actually found one we like, but our first visit was with a really crappy realtor, so we're going back with a different one tomorrow. Things we like best: it's about five miles out of town with an acre and a half, plus the option to buy more; it has cathedral ceilings in the living room and an open floor plan, so the living room, kitchen and dining area are all together; it has a half-finished walk-out basement; it has real wood floors in the kitchen and beautiful cabinets; and it has a wraparound porch on three sides of the house. I'll write more after our second trip out there.

I think that's all I have time to write today. I have to run over to the Alumni House now and grab some more kilts so I have enough for the OCs to wear in their welcome video; then I have to continue writing content for the new accepted student Internet portal, plus write the letters/emails we'll use to communicate their new access; then I have to take time to talk to a family, send out an email blast about the upcoming theatre performance, put together another email blast about the upcoming music performances, and pack my materials up for tonight's college fair in Birmingham. And I have until 3 pm to take care of all of that, plus whatever pops up in the meantime. Have I mentioned I really like my job, because I do!

No comments: