"So take this broken offering and make me whole,
Set my feet upon the road that leads me home,
let me walk as one fixed upon the goal,
even though I've got a thousand miles to go..."

Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Bright Spots

Today I had an OC (student who is a member of the Orientation Committee) in my office. She was lamenting the fact that I had stepped down as their advisor (it's a complicated, regrettable situation). She said the whole group was considering invading my office and not leaving until I agreed to come back. It was funny and sweet and sad all at once, and made my day.

Then the new president of the Ski Team, which is still stuck with me for their advisor, came in for help with the team's national registration. He was so frustrated and confused, but I helped him get things figured out. He, too, always leaves so appreciative of my help, which makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside. These kids are definitely getting baked goods before their races, and I'm bringing my "Go Scots" cowbell to at least one race this year!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Tell me about the OC advisor situation. I've been meaning to ask you about it.
--Ryan

Laurie said...

Ryan, here's the quick synopsis: the College would like to make some changes to Preterm, but I haven't been included in the conversation. I am not kept informed, either, so when the OCs come to me with questions, I can't answer them. I turned my advising duties back to Student Life because it wasn't fair to the kids to have an advisor who didn't know the answers. Further, the reaction I received when I took my materials over reinforced my suspicion that my input was not really important nor wanted. I'm so sad about the whole thing, but I still get to see lots of the kids and help them out when I can.