It’s the start of a brand new year and I do have some resolutions, but I’ll keep some of them to myself. For starters, though, I resolve to keep a positive, open-minded attitude while searching for a new job. It is disheartening sometimes; after all, I had a whole week off work to job search, yet I didn’t find anything until Sunday evening. As Mitch pointed out, no one wanted to hire in December with the holidays, but hopefully things will pick up. I am a bit nervous, though, that I won’t be able to find anything up here. Most of me really wants to find something here so we can keep trying to make a go of this up North thing, but part of me sees a benefit in looking elsewhere. There are more options, for one thing, in Grand Rapids and even down by my parents. Yes, I know I have been saying for years that I do not want to live there: too much urban sprawl, not enough open space, can’t see the stars at night, etc. But part of me, kind of a significant part of me, wants to be closer to the people I love. I miss my family most of all…they are stable and are not going anywhere for awhile. I miss my friends, most of whom are either in their first jobs, which many say are dissatisfying like mine, out of the state/country (you know who you are!) or still in school with no solid plans of settling anywhere. I guess what this all boils down to is wherever I am, I’m going to be missing someone, particularly those of you who are globe-trotters. But here, it seems like I miss everyone because there’s no one here. For practical reasons, though, moving would not be a good option I guess. Mitch enjoys his job and is still in training, so I don’t think they’d be too happy about trying to relocate him in another branch. I would feel bad about uprooting him just for the sake of my own career, but I think he would move if I couldn’t find anything up here within a decent amount of time.
Let’s move on to something more pleasant – Christmas! Mitch and I drove down to my parents’ house on Friday after he got out of work, dropped of Chip and went to my cousin Rosie’s house in Livonia. She and her husband, Chad, just bought the small brick house about a year ago and have been doing a ton of work to it, so it looks great. It was, however, a little small for a group of 27-odd loud, rowdy McGraths. First excitement of the evening: my Uncle John Ravida goaded my 20 year old brother into having a beer, which was uncomfortable for him to be doing in front of my parents, but all right in the end. Second excitement of the evening: my father cornered my cousin Joe in a spare bedroom and sat him down for a “talk” about whether or not he was stoned at my wedding (Cousin Joe has a history of drug abuse and trouble with the law) and about the importance of staying clean since he now has a wife and a baby on the way. My Aunt Mary, Uncle Chris and Mitch were all stationed in the hallway timing the event – it went over 20 minutes – and reminiscing about my little cousin Dayna’s “talks” with my dad when she would throw temper tantrums. Apparently Aunt Mary still uses the threat and it works. Anyway, when we got home, Dad said the conversation went well, that Joe was not stoned at my wedding and that he admitted he had done some bad things but really wanted to change now. Third excitement of the evening: someone forgot to buy my cousin Dan a Christmas present. We draw names because there are so many of us, but somewhere in there he got lost. I would have liked to be him, though; he made out like a bandit with some ski clothing and $50 from various people who felt bad about him getting skipped. Fourth excitement of the evening: when we got home, we discovered a rather plentiful smattering of blood on the wall in the hallway, right about doggy-nose level. Turns out the dog my parents were watching, an energetic black lab named Casey, probably antagonized young Chipper a little too much, resulting in a swipe of the claws across her nose. For the rest of the evening, they were very wary of each other, but it got a lot better over the rest of the weekend.
On Christmas morning, we woke up and did the traditional present-opening, complete with a tray of Christmas cookies (since Santa no longer gets them, I guess we eat his share before breakfast) and Christmas music. My mom, as usual, hits the stores with a vengeance and got us all some Spyder gear for skiing along with the traditional Christmas ornaments and calendars. She also got us clothes (Express for me, Marshall Fields for the boys) and got Mitch and me each a Camelback for mountain biking and other adventurous pursuits. One of my favorite gifts, though, was this year’s Santabear, who is a ski patroller complete with a Saint Bernard puppy. When I was in eighth grade, all I wanted form my little boyfriend was a Santabear, and he dragged his mom all over southeastern Michigan to find one a few days before Christmas. Can you tell I’ve always loved those fuzzy white bears?
Here’s a side note about gifts: I felt a little guilty getting so much for Christmas. After all, Mitch and I have been opening gifts for at least two months, with all the showers and then the wedding. We got so many wonderful things, more than we need. I just keep thinking about one of the songs on the new Caedmon’s Call CD, with a lyric that goes, “But the TV’s always on and the phone it won’t stop ringing, and these bills they keep on screaming, to pay for all the things that I never really needed.” I have so much that I don’t really need (I like and appreciate everything, though!) and there are people who barely have the things they absolutely need. I don’t believe we have a legal obligation to make everything equal in society – hence the Republican voting tendencies – but I believe we have a moral obligation to help those in need. Does that make any sense?
Back to the Christmas narrative, we spent the rest of the morning eating a wonderful breakfast and cleaning up in preparation for another day of festivities. This time it was my dad’s side of the family – a calmer, quieter, significantly smaller set. The best part about this get-together was that my older cousins, Todd and Ryan, were home from Arizona for the holiday. They are both in the mortgage business so Mitch spent quite a bit of time talking finance with them. I spent a lot of time sitting there, trying to decide if it was better to a) continue nodding absently; b) join my dad and Uncle Beau in a discussion about beer; or c) help my mom and Aunt Linda with the dishes. I’m ashamed to say I continued my absent-minded nodding while letting my mind wander to other things.
After the Eccles crew departed, Aunt Mary and Dayna showed up with more gifts. I should explain the special bond we have with them: my Uncle David died when I was in seventh grade, about a year after they had Dayna. We’ve always been close to them, but since his death, we’ve played a huge role in their lives. We watch Dayna when Aunt Mary goes on vacation and my dad fixes, builds and hangs things and does whatever else needs to be done around the house. Because of this, I think, they always bring us gifts aside from the big family celebration. We always get Dayna a gift, too, but everyone in the family does because she is the baby and the light of all our lives, I think. Anyway, they hung out for awhile before heading home and we called it quits around 11:30 pm.
On Sunday, Mitch and I left earlier to meet Matt in Lansing for lunch. When we were at Alma, we always made an effort to go out to dinner together to celebrate the holidays with all our friends, but this year it just didn’t work out. They planned a New Years Eve party, which we couldn’t attend, so we thought we’d at least see a few people the day after Christmas. It ended up just being Matt, because Sumit was sick. I was bummed that we didn’t get to see Sumit because he is going to med school in Dominica so we never get to see him, but we are trying to make plans for another time. Anyway, lunch was great and we even stopped at Alma on the way home to see the new dorm they are building. It looks great but kind of out of place amidst the older buildings.
Yes, I still miss Alma. I hear Shaking Tree music and miss climbing. I think about finding the job of my dreams and miss SIFE. I smelled spring the other day, when all our snow melted, and I missed walking around campus. We talk about camping and I miss the Adventure Club. I look around my apartment and I miss the simplicity of a tiny single in Bruske. I go to a new church and miss chapel probably more than anything. But then I look at my husband and I love that we are together in a way we’ve never been before. I hear about my friends’ new jobs and accomplishments and I know we will change the world, maybe just in small ways, but change it we will.
OK, sorry for the tangent. Those are probably more interesting then the narrative, though. Anyway, on Monday I called Mitch in “sick” because he hadn’t used any sick days and we wanted to go to Traverse and trade our Best Buy gift cards for a new surround sound system. On the way, we dropped off my skis so I could get my new bindings from Mitch mounted in anticipation of some skiing later that week. It was a successful afternoon of shopping and we even got everything all hooked up by dinnertime. On Tuesday I ran a bunch of errands, cleaned, unpacked, etc. etc. and found out that we would have company for dinner on Tuesday! Yay, Jeff, Carla, Minda, Derek and the kids would all be descending upon our apartment on Wednesday! I spent most of that day cooking and cleaning and looking forward to having people there, and the evening was everything I hoped. Next time, though, I hope I remember the potential consequences of having Italian food with three children under the age of four!
Thursday was great and disappointing. Great because Adrienne, her boyfriend Kyle, Amanda’s husband Nate’s sister Danielle and Danielle’s boyfriend Adam all came up to go skiing. Disappointing because the weather was rainy and warm and we didn’t ski. Great because I got more picture frames from Pier 1 and sour gummy worms from Target. Disappointing because the movie we saw, “Closer,” sucked and I think I was the only one who hated it with a burning passion. Great because I got to have dinner company again. Disappointing because the first batch of chili burned in the crock-pot while we were in Traverse City. Great because everyone loved Chip. Disappointing because no one wanted to watch “Aspen Extreme.” Great because my best friend was there. Disappointing because sometimes I feel more like myself around friends Mitch and I have made together, like all the ones from Alma.
New Years Eve brought a virtual heat wave…it was so warm I grabbed my bike as soon as my friends left and headed out for a nice ride around the lake. Let me tell you, the wind was blowing right in my face as I rode south! It was super strong and almost blew me right off the path and into the lake! But when I turned the corner and started heading back north, it was one of the fastest rides of my life. Exhilarating. Probably the only description. Anyway, when I got home I discovered that our wedding pictures were online, so for anyone who wants to see them, go to www.pictage.com, make a username and password and search for “Eccles.” So after I browsed through the pics, took and shower, packed and cleaned up the apartment, I took off for Big Rapids where I met Mitch at work, parked my car in a safe spot and headed to his parents’ house for the family Christmas celebration. I was bummed that we wouldn’t be able to go to Matt’s for New Years with the Alma crew, but it turned out to be a really fun evening. We all got some very nice gifts, and Christa’s fiancé was definitely pumped that we bought him a blue and green hammock in Mexico. The three kiddos were fun and crazy, and after they went to bed, we all got a little crazy ourselves over a card game called Nertz and then a game of Scene It. We continued the craziness on Saturday by riding quads on Grandpa DeYoung’s property and even venturing into his dilapidated barn. Also, we got to see “Ocean’s 12” that evening in Alma…very good movie, I might add.
On Sunday we came back to Cadillac to a kitten who was oh-so-lonesome. He was such a cuddler, letting me hold him an extra long time and purring like he would never stop. I hate to leave him home alone because he’s such a social cat, but I don’t think we’ll be taking him to Mitch’s parents’ house because (1) he doesn’t get along with the cats Carla has started letting in the house again and (2) the noisy, unpredictable kiddos scare him.
So now it’s back to work, which is as dissatisfying as ever. I actually have some projects to work on but it’s hard to get motivated and actually do them because my heart is not into it. I have very few new job possibilities right now, but I am looking hard. I applied for a director of membership services position at the Chamber of Commerce in Cadillac and I plan to apply for a job at the Grand Traverse Regional Land Conservancy. Actually, I kind of just want to get in front of them, even though the position is just for a receptionist and it’s only about 30 hours a week. But, they are a neat organization and they have staff positions that appeal to me. If the Ann Arbor Art Center is any indication, nonprofits tend to turn over their staff quickly because the pay is not the best, so if I can get an interview with them and they like me but I won’t make enough at the receptionist position, maybe they will keep me in mind for future openings. That works: I applied for a job at the United Way of Muskegon County this past spring and though they didn’t hire me, they called me a month or so ago because they had a new position open and they liked me. I’m attempting to set up some volunteering with the United Way in Traverse, but nothing has come of it yet. I’m wondering how that would work with a fulltime job down in Cadillac, but we’ll see. And this week it’s time to get in contact with the Traverse City Chamber to send them an updated copy of my resume and contact information. So I guess things are progressing, slowly, but I am not the most patient person and really want something to happen soon.
4 comments:
Hi Laurie!
You're putting me to shame with these huge entries here... wow! (I'm glad I have Mr. Slade on my gender's side so at least the entry length is balanced!) Anyhow, I'm glad to hear you guys' Christmas went well. I am not so good at the long entries, so three things:
1) I hear you on wanting to find a different job, now, and potentially looking in a big city. I was down in Rochester Hills for New Year's (including the gorgeous, warm, breezy New Year's Eve Day), and I loved it. I've been in Livonia and loved it, Royal Oak and loved it... I sense a trend. I don't understand it (Mr. Midland in Detroitland? What?), but I guess it goes to show that changing times bring changing perspectives, and we have to do what we feel is right.
2) Of course I have to comment on the poor... I think we have a moral (not legal) obligation to help the poor help themselves. Hence my Republican voting tendencies. :)
3) I miss Alma like crazy too. Not all the time, and I definitely don't miss the homework or stress... but every now and then I hear a church bell or see a clock with a Roman numeral "IIII" instead of "IV," and it just hits me for a second that I loved it there and now I'm done. I think that, as you mentioned, it's because we all came out of Alma with such great friends.
I'm glad to hear everything's going well. You and Mitch take care up there!
Removed? By Who? Anyways...
When Grant and I decided to move to CA for seminary, we were planning on moving in July. I posted my resume on the CA school/job site in May and didn't hear anything until July. This was long after I had resigned from my job in Davison and they had hired my replacement. Needless to say we were wondering where the money to pay for our move, rent, food, tuition, was going to come from and we were even questioning our intentions to move. But the week before moving, I did get a call at about 9:30pm from a principal in Oakland who forgot about the time change. Yes, it is the most challenging job I have ever had and yes, we are still questioning our intentions to move to Berkeley, but for right now it is all working out and we are both getting used to not being in Alma. A job will find you soon. And if it doesn't, then you should quit your job, be a bum off of Mitch's income and start knitting hats, scarves, sweaters, and gloves to keep you warm while skiing.
As for the whole Alma thing, last year was my transition year out. We slowly said goodbye as I came to visit Grant less and he moved into my apartment. Grant doesn't seem to have any real emotional contact to speak of to the place. I think sometimes he still wishes that he had gone to school farther away and not settled for the school that would give him a full ride for tuition. I think he might miss chapel so much that it would be too sad to go back. The last time we drove through we didn't recognize any students right away and there was a big hole in the ground. The people were the real experience and since I didn't meet anyone new the last two years I lived on/visited campus, the "school" that we had known was no longer and we were then free of it. It was just a place with buildings and squirrels.
For all the voting tendencies that I hear from your post and your first anonymous comment... I'm glad that your state, the state of my youth, still saw the light and went blue... who knows, perhaps the republican party isn't so bad, they just have a horrible, misguided leader? But what does the choice of leadership say about the party itself? hum... the Bay was a good place to be during the elections. Not a single election commercial on the radio or TV to sway the voters in either direction so the "truth" prevailed, at least here.
By the way, do you listen to NPR at all? www.michiganradio.org is one of the things I miss about southern michigan the most. I still listen online sometimes but it is not the same as driving to/from work listening to Charity Nebbe and Todd Mundt. I just can't seem to get into the same listening relationship with the KQED staff here in SF. They are not as personal as michigan radio. You should check it out if you haven't before.
Hey, girlie!
I understand perfectly the bidness about missing family...my brother struck a chord when I spoke to him over Thanksgiving. I expressed surprise that he was celebrating at home, rather than in Indiana with his girlfriend (now fiancee! Woohooo!)...and he said "Man, I don't ho my people out. I'm not like you -- I LOVE my family..." Totally tongue-in-cheek, but I do have enough guilt from having missed so many family events (esp. since the family's so scattered that we only see each other a couple times a year in the first place) that it really hit home. Oof...Still, though. You gots to do what you gots to do, even if that means holding out hope and hunkering down in the Great White North.
Everyone keeps telling me, though, that this is part of growing up, of getting married. Making your OWN family, and thus distancing yourself from the previous one, etc., etc. I am not sure if I buy into it wholly, but whatever.
Guess this is one of those situations where it's imperative to figure out if perseverance (and thus staying put, gutting out the uncertainty and holding out for the job of your dreams to go with the man of your dreams and the home of your dreams) is the prime virtue, or flexibility (and the willingness to move), or what. Oof.
Following in everyone's footsteps -- I agree that there's a moral imperative to help the poor help themselves, as Ryan said. The whole "Give a man a fish, feed him for a day; teach a man to fish, feed him for a lifetime" thing. On the other hand, that doesn't really affect my political thinking, since there are other subjects about which I feel stronger. But, as I tell Anna, it's no use feeling guilty about having when others don't. It's not about everyone being mutually poor or mutually rich -- that assumes that everyone has bought into our American consumer philosophy. There are a great deal of people (esp. here in Benin, where it's still a subsistence-level society, but also in Nicaragua) all over the world that find their value in family, faith, etc., and are really quite content with their open latrines, dirt floors, wattle-and-daub homes, etc. As long as you can do your part to redress the worst inequalities, and make sure everyone's got their daily food and clothing for their kids, it's a start. The rest won't get accomplished in our lifetime, and while resigning yourself to suffering on their behalf might earn karma points, it won't change things. So lighten up! :-)
Anyway, it's nice to see a good, solid, lengthy, angst-y post...keeps me honest as far as checking in on my friends' blogs! Take care...there's another honest-to-goodness email coming your way this evening (so your afternoon), when I get to use my laptop instead of my friend's work computer.
Love, T
Post a Comment