Well, the part time life is not so bad. Since my last post, I've experienced some great things. First, when I knew I was going to have more time on my hands, I contacted the united Way in Cadillac and offered to volunteer for them and help with marketing. I'm working with the executive director to create a communications plan, which many of you may think sounds kind of dull. I, however, love it and can't wait 'til I can find someone to pay me to do that kind of work! I'm also getting more proficient at this "networking" thing and accompanied a friend of my father's to a United Way meeting in Traverse City. Turns out he was asked to be on one of the allocations panels and pulled some strings to get me invited to participate as a non-voting member. Also turns out that the VP at the Traverse City Chamber of Commerce is on the same panel, so I will be able to keep strengthening that connection.
All this is well and good, but what about the fact that I am only making half as much money as before? Well, aside from making a more conscious effort to stay on budget, I also signed up to be a substitute teacher. If they ever actually call me, I should be able to make some extra dough. But yes, I'm also looking for a "real" job. I had an interview with a management consulting company in Traverse City called Dewar Sloan and though it went well, it doesn't seem to be the right fit for me. I already took a job when I was a little less than enthusiastic about the day-to-day functions of the position and I don't want to do it again. I know what I want and I want to find it - or I at least want to find something else that strongly appeals to me, if that makes any sense. And I do have a possibility, which may have something to do with my reluctance to accept anything that may be offered by Dewar Sloan. The United Way in Grand Rapids is hiring a senior marketing associate and I'm sending my application in today. Now, some of you may be thinking, "Isn't GR a long way from Cadillac?" Yes, it is. But Mitch and I have discussed it extensively, as a good married couple should, and we agreed that we can clear the hurdles that would be necessary should I take a job down there. Mainly, it would involve moving, using the crock pot for dinner more and having Mitch inquire about transferring within six months to a year.
Frankly, as much as I want this job, I'm having trouble asking Mitch to shake up his great situation so I can have a new job. Putting myself in his position, I think I would feel a little resentful and he's admitted that there may be trace amounts floating around. But I believe him when he says he wants me to be happy and that making me happy will make him happy. I know we need to consider the future implications of our actions but I think we need to not get too far ahead of ourselves. At this point, I think it's anough that we have identified some possible challenges and committed ourselves to overcoming them should they present themselves.
On another note, I want to say to many people (you know who you are) that I'm so glad we have stayed in contact since graduation. To those of you who are making your way through the post-Alma challenges, I'm so glad we are able to do so together, even if "together" only means that we read each others blogs and emails and are reassured that others are experiencing the same things. To those of you still in school, thanks for not forgetting about us! Every day I miss college less and less but you are all never far from my thoughts and prayers. Yes, I know that was very sappy, but I want to make sure you all know how important you are to me.
And with that, I'll sign off for today.
1 comment:
Hey, thank you, Laurie! You should know that your encouragement has really helped me along my own path, and I know other people feel the same way. I'm sorry your situation has been so twisty and discouraging, but you've kept the faith through it all, and I know God is leading you to exactly where you should be. It helps that your husband is awesome and willing to relocate. :) Just take things one day at a time... they'll work out!
Take care!
Ryan
Post a Comment