"So take this broken offering and make me whole,
Set my feet upon the road that leads me home,
let me walk as one fixed upon the goal,
even though I've got a thousand miles to go..."

Thursday, June 19, 2008

I still miss her.

I find it fascinating how little things can bring back little, poignant memories.

Last night, I was cutting up a pair of Mitch's old underwear to use as a rag and as I was trimming the waistband off, I remembered how my Grandma Eccles used to sew old underwear bands to the bottom of the seat covers for the red wooden picnic table at the lake. That used to be my job as a girl: spreading out the old tablecloth, opening the umbrella and slipping on the seat covers while burgers sizzled on the charcoal grill.

1 comment:

PastSelf said...

Hehehe...that's funny, I thought I was one of the few who chopped up old underwear to use as rags.

I recently was walking around someplace and caught a whiff of some undescribable smell that took me back to my Grandma and Grandpa Slade's home in Orange County. I haven't been there in 14 years, and I could remember it like yesterday.