"So take this broken offering and make me whole,
Set my feet upon the road that leads me home,
let me walk as one fixed upon the goal,
even though I've got a thousand miles to go..."

Monday, April 20, 2009

Yankee Springs Time Trial

Race season has officially begun! This past Sunday, Mitch and I joined six of our On 2 Wheels teammates at the Yankee Springs Time Trial. It was a huge race...something like 400 racers were registered. The weather was not ideal, but you could barely feel the sprinkly-misty rain out on the course. I think it even made some of the hills easier for me, because they weren't dry and gravelly.


Me and Nichole, before the race.

My lap started pretty well, but I quickly got passed by the faster sport women and my teammate, Nichole. Throughout the course, I battled back and forth with two other racers; in a time trial, you're just racing the clock so your position with regard to the other racers doesn't matter. In this race, I also didn't know which racers were in my age bracket since they grouped all the sport women together for the start. So even though I had no idea where my time stood in relation to my competitors, I used the racers who were close to me as motivation to go faster. As I said, the uphills weren't too bad and the downhills were a ton of fun! I was shooting for a time of 1 hour, 20 minutes (because that would have been a top-three time in my class last year) but I finished just under 1 hour, 13 minutes. That was fast enough to earn me a second place out of four racers. Nichole smoked us all, finishing in 1 hour, 6 minutes.


Podium finishes for the sport ladies!

The rest of the team did really well, too:

Sport Men 19-29:
Mitch - 4th place (53:45)
Brad Potter - 6th place (54:13)

Sport Men 30-39:
Jake Pangle - 8th place (59:56)

Single Speed Sport/Beginner:
Aaron Osburn - 9th place (57:27)

Expert Men 40-49:
Karl Grieve - 10th place (1:44:28-two laps)

Beginner Women 30+:
Andrea Davis - 7th place (1:27:51)

Mitch was hoping for a faster time but he lost precious minutes getting stuck behind large groups of riders. That was a common complaint for most of the guys, and it's one of the downfalls of time trial races. But Andrea gets some special kudos for finishing 20 minutes faster this year than last year!

Next up: a cross country race at Fort Custer. So excited!

1 comment:

Andrea said...

I think I should have picked a slower team to join so I'd look better. You guys all did great! Did you see the photos Chris took of you? Yours came out really good, I think. Good luck at Fort Custer. Tear it up!