"So take this broken offering and make me whole,
Set my feet upon the road that leads me home,
let me walk as one fixed upon the goal,
even though I've got a thousand miles to go..."

Thursday, August 13, 2009

Admissions News

Let me tell you, this has been an interesting summer in the Alma College Admissions Office. First, we hit a goal no one thought we could, give the state of the economy: we are bringing in over 400 new students, for the third year in a row. This is the first time in AC history we've had three 400+ classes back-t0-back, and it's a huge testament not only to the Admissions Office, but to the whole campus and their commitment to recruitment.

Second, we had a ton of turnover this year and many changes to territories. I won't bore you with the details, but we have three new reps who should prove to be incredible assets to the team. We've also shifted territories and responsibilities; New York is out for me, and Clinton/Ingham counties are in. I'm very excited about the change in my recruitment role, because I'll have more kids (I missed the connections) and my travel will be local.

Third, the campus is undergoing some big changes, both physical and otherwise. I've mentioned both the Hogan Center renovation and the first floor SAC renovation before, I think...those two things are going to transform some major areas of campus. We're also investing in a brand new administrative software system that will significantly improve (but fundamentally change) the way every office and department conducts business and shares information.

Finally, we have new staff members in key places. There's a new VP for Finance and Administration who is approving some much-needed expenditures, a new director of student life (Dave Blandford, the former Bruske hall director) and a new director of counseling and wellness. Top that off with a search for a new college president, and Alma is poised for a period of change.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

First floor SAC is getting redone?

Big Dave is going to be the (awesome) new Student Life director?

400+ incoming class for three years in a row???

This is awesome, Laurie!!

Ryan