Five ways to describe Macie:
1. Cute
2. Sweet
3. Curious
4. Excited to meet everyone
5. Loves attention
Five ways to describe Chip:
1. Handsome
2. Bipolar
3. Cautiously inquisitive
4. Irritated by new people invading his house
5. Will tolerate attention on his terms only
Many people, knowing Chip and making assumptions that Macie is like any other puppy, often ask how the two are getting along. Let me tell you, it's been a process...kind of like grieving, at least for Chip:
1. Denial: There's nothing going on. If I never leave the bedroom, I don't have to see this thing that has invaded my home.
2. Anger: What is this thing that has invaded my home? I've ventured out to examine it, and it just seems to make loud noises and disturb my peaceful home. Get it out, GET IT OUT! I have claws and I know how to use them!
3. Bargaining: OK Mom and Dad, let's make a deal: I will be the good pet. I will sleep in your bed again and purr and pose for you. All I ask is that you get rid of that thing. Please?
4. Depression: It's not working. I'm so stressed that I don't have any appetite. I'm just not going to eat and get even skinnier than I already am. *Dramatic sigh*
5. Acceptance: Well, it's not going anywhere. But Mom and Dad still love me and give me lots of attention. And maybe it's not that bad. We're learning to share and be in the same place at the same time without antagonizing each other. Maybe it's even kind of nice. It gave me a kiss the other day...
Actually, Chip is jumping around between anger, depression and acceptance. He's fine most days, but we still try to keep Macie out of his face. For her part, I think she knows he's the alpha and usually ignores him or tries to scoot quickly past him if they are both in the hallway. Oh, animals...
No comments:
Post a Comment