"So take this broken offering and make me whole,
Set my feet upon the road that leads me home,
let me walk as one fixed upon the goal,
even though I've got a thousand miles to go..."

Monday, July 26, 2004

So I planned to write a lot last night, but I got distracted by my kitten, Chip. Remember that wierd character in American Beauty who was obsessed with the plastic bag? Well, Chip found a Meijer bag and played with it for a good half an hour...there's something really entertaining about a kitty pouncing on a bag, getting stuck, and dragging it around the room! He's really cute and sweet, so I thought I should play with him since he was home all day by himself.

Anyway, I think I can remember what I was going to talk about. Basically, I have been turning over the Cadillac vs. TC debate in my head since I got that email from the hospital, and it's driving me nuts! But, while I was laying in bed last night, I found some peace. I realized that I shouldn't look at this as a decision, persay. If I had to opportunity to take either job (which at this point I don't because I haven't heard from Cadillac) then I just have to find God's path for me. Kind of takes some weight off my shoulders, knowing that I can trust God to show me where I should go. In a way I can see him working even as I semi-agonize over this. I was so enthusiastic about this TC job; I was ready to take it and make it fit into my life, Mitch's life, and our life together. I really didn't look at anything except the job itself, but now, since I have more time than they led me to believe at first, I am looking at other things. Like being a part of a community, how much time Mitch and I would get to spend together, the values and goals of the organization, etc. etc. So, even though I was frustrated when TC called and said they wouldn't know for sure until August 3, I now see that as a positive thing because I have time to consider the alternatives.

It's kind of hard to explain the things that go through my mind, especially about God and religion since I feel relatively new to the faith that is growing inside me. There's a song, though, by a band called Ten Shekel Shirt (What is a shekel? Can anyone tell me?) that pretty much describes the way that I feel, both now and when I look back on my life before this past year:

As a child I remember things that just can't be explained away,
On the journey here unseen things seem to appear.

Maybe I have always known You,
I just didn't know it,
I have always wondered,
Why the wind seemed to call to me.

All my life,
And in fine form tonight,
Your love's been near,
Like a whisper loud and clear.

The silence may not cry out with sound, but,
It speaks Your name, Your names
And the dreaming of a better place, it rests deep in me,
You'd think this was meant to be.

Maybe I have always known You,
I just didn't know it,
I have always wanted all that you want for me.

Maybe I have always known You,
I just didn't know it,
I have always wanted,
Wanted you more than anything.

I remember feeling these pulls, every once in awhile, so powerful and strong yet quieter than the softest whisper. Once I was driving and I got this feeling telling me there was something else out there. I felt like I should just keep driving and driving and I would find it. That’s how it happened mostly, an urge to physically go somewhere far away and find something. Another time I was standing on the shores of Lake Michigan, and it was cool and gray, and I was there with someone who could stand right next to me yet still make me feel all alone. I felt this tug again and I wondered what it would feel like to start walking into the water, letting the waves that lapped at my toes curl around my ankles, knees, waist, until I was swimming farther and farther. I would find something, I was sure of it.

Other times, I would be outside in the woods, hearing the wind whisper through the trees. I would close my eyes and feel like I was a part of the wind, moving freely; and I never wanted to open my eyes because I would lose what I had been seeking. I couldn’t hold on to it and something inside me would ache because I still hadn’t found that “something else.” Well, over the past year, I've found "something else" and I'm trying to hold onto it for all I'm worth.

2 comments:

PastSelf said...

You know shekels, girl! They're units of weight, just like a cubit was a unit of length :-) All the ransoms and payments and fun stuff like that in the OT (that I used to read over and over again, since there was so much ADVENTURE there) are in shekels, as is the weight of Goliath's armor, etc. I don't know exactly how much it weighed (I think it may have been a little variable), but a lot of NIV and study Bibles have conversion charts in the back...

Robin Levere Kinney said...

Oh a Meijer bag... those were the days. Grant and I often speak of how nice a meijer would be right now when we have to travel to several different stores to get all of our shopping completed here in Berkeley.