"So take this broken offering and make me whole,
Set my feet upon the road that leads me home,
let me walk as one fixed upon the goal,
even though I've got a thousand miles to go..."

Thursday, July 29, 2004

The wheels are turning

Well, the hospital in Cadillac called me yesterday afternoon and informed me that I am in the top two candidates and that the decision will be very difficult. They are aware that Traverse City will be letting me know by August 3, so if the decision is in my favor I think they'll let me know before that. Right now I am leaning toward taking the Cadillac job, if it is offered to me. Reasons for that:
1. Living and working in the same community would make it easier to meet people, put down roots, get involved, etc.
2. Easier to find housing in Cadillac than somewhere in between Cadillac and TC
3. Less drive time, which means more time for Mitch and I to spend together and do fun things
4. The hospital's mission embraces values similar to mine and (from what I have seen in my interviews) really adheres to them in all they do
5. Mitch and I could actually do volunteer firefighting if we were both in Cadillac, like we've been talking about for awhile

There are more reasons, too, but those are some of the biggies. Not that I have truly taken this into consideration, but the pay is significantly more in Cadillac...still, even with all these reasons laid out, I can only say I am about 80% sure. The actual job in Traverse City just sounds so awesome. I've been praying hard about it, trying to open my heart and trust enough so that God will show me which path he wants me to take. There's a Caedmon's Call song called "Faith My Eyes" that I call to mind whenever I want a guide as to how I live my life. "So keep 'em coming, these lines on the road, and keep me responsible, be it a light or heavy load, and keep me guessing with these blessings in disguise, and I'll walk with grace my feet and faith my eyes." So, I'm trying to handle this situation the same way.

On to other things, today I think I'll take a bike ride. I'm trying to get in better shape, which is why I keep bugging Mom to do pilates with me every night. We are not good about the "every night" thing but we're trying. Bobby lets me ride his bike, since it is better than Mom's, so I've been doing some more mountain biking and just biking in general when there is no one around to hit the trails with me. It's going to be nice and hot today, so maybe I'll ride over to Island Lake, take a swim, read a book, and hang out. A workout and relaxation...sounds like a good afternoon to me!

Speaking of reading, I just finished "Sarah" by Orson Scott Card. It's a fictional interpretation of Sarah from the Bible and it's really neat because the author sticks close to Genesis but fleshes out the characters and their lives very well. He's written two other books to complete a Women of Genesis trilogy: "Rebecca" and "Rachel and Leah." I think I'm just going to devour them!

OK, time to go give my kitten some attention! He is growing fast and soon he won't be so little anymore! But he's so sweet, I can't help cuddling him and playing with him. Sometimes when he's sleeping and I pick him up, he stretches really big and yawns really big, and it makes me laugh. He's got really soft fur on his tummy, too, and he lets me pet it when he does that. Awww, sappy, I know...

1 comment:

PastSelf said...

And you been readin' OSC, too? When did you start going through those books? I LOVED Sarah - it was great. I haven't gotten around to Rebekah yet (it's been staring at me since I got to France, but I keep reading them French books, like Les Miserables and junk like that), and last I'd heard Rachel and Leah wasn't actually in print yet. Maybe I'm out of touch. Hmmm...