So, life's been an adventure since last weekend, when I moved in to my new (and first!) apartment in Cadillac. The actual moving was relatively painless, though there is still a box of books waiting to find its way to the shelves and some clothes hanger-less. The kitchen is a bit sparse, as I have barely any cookware, but once those shower gifts start rolling in, things will be just dandy. My favorite part about the apartment is the huge living room and the 8-foot slider that goes out on a balcony overlooking Lake Cadillac. There are some beautiful sunsets there, let me tell you.
On Monday I started my job at the hospital with new employee orientation. It was kind of tedious at times, and I managed to get stuck next to a smoker both days, but I got a lot of valuable information out of it. The director of HR is a Scottish guy with a badass brogue, so at least that was entertaining! My boss wanted me to go to a grant writing workshop at U of M Wednesday through Friday this week, but it was full when he tried to register me...I was bummed, but a space opened up and I cruised down here Tuesday night. Ann Arbor is kind of nice at 7:30 am, before traffic gets crazy and the strange people come out! Even at the early hour, the workshop is awesome. I'm learning so much and I really feel like I'll be prepared to get moving when I get back to Cadillac. Before, I was feeling a bit insecure...I told my boss he was crazy to hire a grantwriter who didn't know what she was doing, but now I actually feel like I might be learning!
By the way, Tim, I did not know what a shekel was, because my Old Testament reading is very limited. I'll get on that, though...and yes, Rachel & Leah is in print now. OSC is also writing a fourth book in the series, even though it was just supposed to be a trilogy, called Wives of Israel. I'm just salivating waiting for that to come out! You should really pick up Rebekah, NOW, because it is amazing.
So I'm here in South Lyon until Sunday, spending time with my family and celebrating my Aunt Shari and Uncle John's 25th wedding anniversary with a surprise "Marguritaville" party on Saturday! Yeah Jimmy Buffett! It should be really fun, complete with 25 pink yard flamingos and some inflatable palm trees! And my family will be really happy, because hey, "it's five o'clock somewhere!"
1 comment:
Whatup, girlie?
Glad to hear things are fleshing out so well for you -- I personally think all of you guys who are going out and getting jobs are scary brave. Me, I am afraid of really starting life at this point, and if I continue on my current educational track, I will hopefully never have to go out and chase down a job: it'll sort of come to me. I think I need that - the uncertainty of not knowing what you may be doing, or worse, doing something for which you haven't been specifically trained, scares the bejeebers out of me.
Don't take the shekel thing as a guilt trip or anything ;-) When I was born, a friend of the family named Tim Anderson gave little Tim Slade the world's sweetest children's Bible. It was big, it had GORGEOUS pictures, and was mainly the Old Testament (with some of the more story-like portions of the New Testament, like the life of Jesus and Acts and stuff). So, whenever I wasn't doing my homework on the floor in church and totally ignoring my preaching Dad, I was reading this thing - must've read the stories of David, Joshua, and the Judges of Israel about a thousand times apiece. Sometimes I forget that the OT isn't really a huge priority for most Christians, since it's not (on the surface, at least) a very useful guide for living. Of course, my Dad's book on the subjects puts the lie to that - I really ought to get you a copy and drop it off on my way through Mich. Shows you just what all you can learn using inductive bible study methods, LOADS of patience, and a little bit of divine inspiration.
I better get on that Rebekah thing, you're right. Perhaps this weekend on the beach, as I'm finishing off my tan. Or becoming a lobster. You know, whatever.
Anna and I will be around Alma on the 9th/10th, and I was hoping to get together for dinner with a bunch of friends (you guys, Ryan, maybe Vicky and Dan, etc.). We could try to do it in Mt. P so it's not as much of a drive for you guys. Is one of those days better than the other? Let me know.
Congratulations on a successful start to life!
~T
Post a Comment