"So take this broken offering and make me whole,
Set my feet upon the road that leads me home,
let me walk as one fixed upon the goal,
even though I've got a thousand miles to go..."

Friday, February 04, 2005

A swingin' single weekend

Yup, I've kicked the Cadillac dust off my heels and headed home for the weekend...sans husband. I think it's funny that, now that we're married, we choose to spend more time apart. This weekend we had both planned to go to my parents' house so we could tell the wedding photographer what pictures we wanted in our album, get some computer glasses for me from my competent eye doctor (as opposed to seeking the services of the incompetent one in Cadillac), find me a dress for Mitch's sister Christa's wedding and go to my cousin's baby shower. A combination of factors made Mitch decide to skip out on accompanying me: (1) All that stuff is GIRLY; (2) My dad is going up to Cadillac to watch Bobby ski and they could do manly things, like go to the North American Snowmobile Festival, grill steaks and drink beer; and (3) If he didn't go, I could leave on Thursday after my half-day of work and spend some extra time with my family. So I set out some stuff he could make for dinner, cleaned up the apartment, did the laundry, changed the oil in his car, packed up the kitty-cat and drove home, alternating between singing country (I know, I think it the hickish-ness up there that's making me belt out, "But what was I thinking?"), listening to NPR and catching up with old friends via the miracles of cell phones. Yee-haw baby!

So starting tonight when my dad leaves, it's a girls' weekend! Since Mom is at the gym running on the treadmill right now, I've just been enjoying a rare breakfast of grapefruit and coffee and a chance to update my blog from a nice, slow dial-up connection while my puppy dog snores on a pile of laundry and Chipper the cat snoozes in the doorway. Ahhhh, home.

4 comments:

Robin Levere Kinney said...

I found it funny that you were about to go have a girly weekend, yet you decided to change the oil on Mitch's car first. That seems like a manly thing he could have done over the weekend. How big is chipper now?

Laurie said...

Robin, Chip is nine and a half pounds and I think he's still growing! He's turning out to be a huge cat but he's not a fat one at all...and he loves to jump in their air and twist around and chase feathers. I feel like a proud mama. :)

Anonymous said...

Let me tell ya, Laurie, as funny as it may seem that you and your new husband choose to spend more time apart now that you're married, the fact that you can both choose to do that (and you're both okay with it) is a crucial cornerstone of marriage. It's rare to find two people who are independent enough, and confident enough, to be able to spend time apart. I salute you both! :)

PastSelf said...

Hey, Laurie!

Sorry I haven't been able to write recently -- the in-laws are in town, and we've been doing the tourist thing rather than getting to check e-mail. I'll drop you a line again sometime early next week...things are going well in general, though...and I just got an email from Bruce! Who'dathunk it?
Hope the girlie weekend went well.

Love,
Tim