"So take this broken offering and make me whole,
Set my feet upon the road that leads me home,
let me walk as one fixed upon the goal,
even though I've got a thousand miles to go..."

Wednesday, March 16, 2005

Not again...

It seems more difficult decisions are looming on the horizon. I suppose I should be used to them now, at least in the context of job-searching, because I turned down the awesome opportunity at the TC Chamber, then closed the doors on two promising opportunties recently by withdrawing my application after the first round of interviews. So here's the situation: Lauren, the communications specialist here at Mercy, got a new job and will be leaving on April 18th. Bryan (my boss) and I have talked previously about the possibility of transitioning me back to full time and into a position where I would take on some of Lauren's responsibilities and keep doing the grant writing thing while he took over the rest of her job, like working with the media, etc. After telling him I was unable to give him a firm commitment one way or another, I let him know on Tuesday that I was probably going to be leaving because Mitch and I decided to go look heavily in the Ann Arbor area and move as soon as we could. This was when he anticipated having Lauren until July 1st, but she got the new job offer today, which changes things. Let me try to explain: his preferred course of action would be to bump me up to full time next week and have me work with Lauren to transition into her position as a filler for the rest of the month. Then, at the beginning of April, he would like to post the position, which would be some combination of communications and grant writing, and start the hiring process. At this point, I could apply if I was interested, but more than likely I would just fill in until the new person was hired because I am not interested in staying here. That would be a fine plan for me, though I'm not sure how our budget supports bumping me to full time while Lauren is still here, but whatever. Under this model, I would probably be assured a position here until about the end of April (which is my self-imposed deadline anyway) because the hiring process would probably take 4-6 weeks. The hard part is the fact that the final decision on all that is not up to Bryan. He has to meet with John, our CEO, on Monday and fill him in on the situation. From a business stance, it would make the most sense for John to tell Bryan that he has to post the position immediately and have it filled by the time Lauren leaves. That would mean I would not be used as a filler, which is fine, but it also means that I would be out of a job once the new person is hired, which would probably be by mid-April. To be safe and conservative, in that situation, would mean that I should apply for the position and commit to staying here for a couple of years, which is not what Mitch and I want. But I'm a safe and conservative type o' girl...this poses a bit of a dilemma.

I've seen how fast, and how slow, jobs can progress. It took 3 months for me to get hired here, but Lauren got called for an interview on Thursday and had a job offer by Wednesday. That's less than a week. Could something like that happen for me? I just don't know, it's a gamble. On the other hand, I'd been counting on being gone, in one way or another, whether it was in a temporary job or a good job, but July.
Maybe I'd have to move that up a bit and stop being picky right now. But isn't not taking advantage of an opportunity that I'm almost guaranteed to have here being super picky? The only thing is, I would have to unofficially commit to staying here for a good length of time and if I took a boring, office-type job, I could roll out when something better came along. Argh!

All my problems would be solved if the place Rosie, my cousin, recently interviewed at would just offer her the job and Marsha at the Art Center would remember how much she loved me and hire me to take Rosie's place. That optimistic feeling I had when Mitch and I decided moving would be a good choice for us is quickly fading into panic as I struggle with the what-ifs and uncertainties.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

As a high school teacher of mine used to say... sweet merciful crap. This never gets any easier, does it? I hope I have all this right: Your immediate boss would like to transition you into your coworker's position for the next 4-6 weeks, and then after that you could apply for the position if you wanted it, giving you some breathing room to look for jobs in AA. However, the CEO is probably going to say that your coworker's job needs to be posted immediately, meaning you'd have to apply for it immediately before you have any time to search for AA jobs, meaning you'd never know if you could find something better in AA. Right?

It seems like the "smart" thing to do would be to apply for this job immediately and stay in Cadillac. However, it doesn't help them if you apply for (and receive) the job, stay for a few months, and then leave to pursue a fantastic opportunity in AA--then they'd have to go through the hiring process all over again. The other thing is, they're already aware you want to leave, so the deck is probably stacked against you as far as hiring goes. The only redeeming thing about applying at Mercy is that it would give you a steady income while you looked for jobs elsewhere--but now we've circled back to the beginning of this paragraph. And I think that's really the key: this wouldn't be your permanent, "Discovering Vocation folder" job, it would be your "temporary until I find something downstate" job. I think that clinches the deal against applying immediately--if it comes to that, of course. If your immediate boss comes back and says hey, you're going to be transitioning for four to six weeks, then this is all blessedly academic anyway.

So try not to worry too much about this until you get more definite confirmation on how you'd have to proceed if you wanted to stay at Mercy (easier said than done, I know). And bear in mind, what do I know--you have to do what's right for you. Just thought I'd throw in my two cents. :)

Keep me posted!

Ryan