"So take this broken offering and make me whole,
Set my feet upon the road that leads me home,
let me walk as one fixed upon the goal,
even though I've got a thousand miles to go..."
Set my feet upon the road that leads me home,
let me walk as one fixed upon the goal,
even though I've got a thousand miles to go..."
Thursday, March 31, 2005
A full tank of gas for less than 30 minutes
So today I had a job interview in Novi, for a company called the Siler-Milton Group. From their plethora of ads on Yahoo HotJobs, I thought I was applying for a marketing, public relations or events position. With no company website, however, I couldn't learn much more, so I decided to just see what it was all about. I learned if they won't give you some information up front, it's probably best not to waste your time driving three hours for a "preliminary" interview. But I did, and I went, and I interviewed along with another girl. And I found out that I was interviewing for a sales position! (A) Not what I want and (B) something I have no experience in. So the interviewer, presumably one of the boss-men because his last name was Siler, had a super-thick Southern drawl and talked at the speed of light, occasionally stuttering syllables over and over. He asked us a few questions, talked about the job and told us if we made the next round, it would be an all-day interview. He also asked if we would be available the next day...uh, no, I live 3 hours away and have a job that I can't just ditch on a whim. Anyway, after 25 minutes and without giving us the opportunity to ask any of the multiple questions I had for him, he whisked us out the doors and promised to call later that afternoon. Well, seeing as my sales experience is zero, I was safely assuming I would not get called back...which was fine with me because the job is NOT what I am looking for at all. Ha, I underestimate myself. I DID get called back for the next round of interviews and once again, I withdrew my application, explaining that I was interested in marketing communications and public relations rather than sales. The guy said something about believing their employees should learn to sell before they plan a campaign, and I said thanks but no thanks. Now that was worth six hours of driving and a full tank of gas!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
You know, I thought about you as I was driving past Novi today, and I hoped your interview went well... but then I saw the name "Siler-Milton Group." I keep seeing their listings on Monster and wondering if I should apply, but ultimately I never do because of the general sketchiness of their work descriptions... good to know I was justified in doing that! When are people going to learn that it's called "Marketing and Sales" because the two fields, though interrelated, are largely separate? Boo! Boo, I say! At least you got to tell the guy off, sort of. :)
Sorry this opportunity didn't work out, but there are plenty out there... at least now you know one that definitely won't work!
Take care, Laurie!
Ryan
You know, I thought about you as I was driving past Novi today, and I hoped your interview went well... but then I saw the name "Siler-Milton Group." I keep seeing their listings on Monster and wondering if I should apply, but ultimately I never do because of the general sketchiness of their work descriptions... good to know I was justified in doing that! When are people going to learn that it's called "Marketing and Sales" because the two fields, though interrelated, are largely separate? Boo! Boo, I say! At least you got to tell the guy off, sort of. :)
Sorry this opportunity didn't work out, but there are plenty out there... at least now you know one that definitely won't work!
Take care, Laurie!
Ryan
...it told me it didn't publish my comment the first time, so I clicked "Publish" again. You'd think I'd know better by now...
Ryan, again
Post a Comment