This past weekened was awesome. I did...NOTHING. I stayed home, went grocery shopping (Meijer on a Saturday is a zoo!), cleaned out the guest room closet, did some more laundry, read a book...it was a great, productive, not-at-all-busy weekend. The biggest excitement was Jillian's bachelor party on Friday night. We took her to the Braveheart and proceeded to get her happily inebriated. There is something inherently beautiful about a bride or bride-to-be. She was like a pink butterfly, flitting all around the bar, talking to everyone. And everyone loved it and did anything she asked of them, because how can you say no to a bride? It was like that at my wedding - I danced with everyone with whom I wanted to dance, because there's some unwritten law that you cannot deny a bride almost anything on her wedding day...or in Jillian's case, at her bachelorette party, too.
Today is the continuation of new administrator/faculty orientation. I'm supposed to go to some HR session that will reiterate everything the mean old HR lady told me when I was first hired. She doesn't like me much. When I first met with her, I told her I wanted my tax deducations to be taken out as if I were single instead of married. She took this to mean that I did not trust myself with money, which I took large offense to. I explained that, no, I just did not want to have to pay in during tax time and would rather receive a check back. She took this to mean I wanted to go on a big shopping spree with my tax return and told me I should instead put that money in my Alma College pension fund. I took offense to that, too, because Mitch and I put away a lot of money from our paychecks into savings and investment accounts, which I explained to her, and probably offended her by saying I would rather contribute to a Roth IRA for retirement (the plan, once our expenses even out again) instead of Alma's pension fund. Bottom line: I hate that she made assumptions about my financial responsibility, probably due to my age, and I probably spent a bit too much time on the defensive, trying to explain to her that yes, I know what I am doing when it comes to money.
So I have to hang out with her for another two hours. Joy.
But for lunch, I get to hang out with the Discovering Vocation crew. I like them.
All right, time to work on my territory management plan for work. This could be interesting...
No comments:
Post a Comment