"So take this broken offering and make me whole,
Set my feet upon the road that leads me home,
let me walk as one fixed upon the goal,
even though I've got a thousand miles to go..."

Tuesday, October 25, 2005

Pretty much done

I'm basically done travelling for the year! It was so nice this morning to wake up wedged between Mitch and Chip (the cat), in my own bed, without thinking, "I have to leave today."

I screw up Mitch's schedule when I come home, though. He and Matt have been working out two days a week, and this week they have to skip a day because I invited Mitch's parents over for dinner and planned an evening for pumpkin carving. Oh well, I don't think it bothers him! :)

Being out on the road taught me a lot about doing things alone. At first it was weird to walk into a restaurant and ask for a table for one; I got used to it very quickly, though. I even went to a movie by myself - literally. I was the only person in the entire theatre for the Wednesday matinee of "In Her Shoes." By the way, it wasn't all that good. I read the book earlier and thought it might be OK, but it wasn't.

Tim, you should be so proud: not only did I finally get around to reading Mitch's copy of "The Screwtape Letters," I also picked up "Mere Christianity" by Lewis while I was out on the road, and I'm thoroughly enjoying it. I'm sure you have other books of his to recommend - hit me!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Remind me when you see me, Laurie--I have that entire series of Lewis' non-fiction somewhere. I'll see if I can dig it out for you. :-)

Anonymous said...

The movie thing happened to me a week ago... I went to see "Flightplan" and was the only one in the theater. Not such a good idea for a suspenseful movie!

~CH

Robin Levere Kinney said...

Yeah! You survived! Back to "normal" life again. We also have a bunch of Lewis' books here, but Gabe is closer and easier to get to, although flying out to CA for a book would make a way better story! Only 2 years left on the free accomodations near SF offer! Better act soon! (that's for anyone that I know reading this as well...)

PastSelf said...

Glad you enjoyed 'em! If Gabe's offering, by all means, take what you can get. I LOVE the way Lewis thinks. And you've already read the Chronicles of Narnia, right? If not, do so -- a BEAUTIFUL allegory of the Bible, and a great way to introduce the Christian story to children.

Speaking of Mitch, and working out, I need to see if he (or you, since you're both hardbodies) can work with me to develop some manner of workout regimen, preferably one that will help build a climbing-specific physique. Anna and I are FINALLY members at the Y, and I need to have some kind of structure to my workouts. Right now I'm just doing a teeny bit of everything to get my body used to the stuff again...