"So take this broken offering and make me whole,
Set my feet upon the road that leads me home,
let me walk as one fixed upon the goal,
even though I've got a thousand miles to go..."

Monday, October 03, 2005

Missin' him

I'm on the road again...the completion of today's high school visits marks the "over half-way" point in this travel season and I can't be happier. Being away from home so much didn't really bother me until I left yesterday. What kind of a girl cries in the Dairy Queen parking lot after just having one of her new favorite Blizzards (mint Oreo)? I'll tell you what kind of girl: one who has already been away from her husband more than she's seen him for the past three weeks and one who spent the busy Homecoming weekend doing everything but cuddling with him. It's not so bad now that I'm here but I'm afraid it might be a long, lonely week.

On a brighter note, I have a great hotel room today. It overlooks Lake Huron and I laid out on the beach, reading, for two hours this afternoon. Adrienne lent me "A Walk in the Woods" by Bill Bryson and I'm hooked. It's about his experiences hiking the Appalachian Trail and he does a good job of mixing comic ancedotes with history. I highly recommend it for the "outdoor inclined." Also on my list of book recommendations is "The Turtle Warrior" by an author I can't remember at the moment, but this is her debut novel. It's an incredibly emotional book, dealing with abuse, alcoholism, the Vietnam War, rural life...Bruce, I think you'd really like this one. I'll be on the lookout for the book you recommended as well.

Well, I've been trying to wait until the sun goes down before I walk over to dinner, because it's HOT. I should NOT be able to lay around in my bathing suit in October, that's for sure. I walked downtown (I'm in Mackinaw City, by the way) and thought I was going to sweat to death in jeans and a t-shirt. The sun is not down, but my stomach is grumbling. And I got a deposit today. That means one of the students in my area (one I actuall saw this afternoon) sent in a commitment deposit and is coming to Alma in the fall. That's reason to celebrate right there. That's a reason for spinach-artichoke dip right there. Mmmm.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Take heart! The week will be over before you know it and you can be home again.

(At least, it had better be over quick--because I'm flying to MN on Saturday to visit Glen!)

*hug!*

~Charlotte