"So take this broken offering and make me whole,
Set my feet upon the road that leads me home,
let me walk as one fixed upon the goal,
even though I've got a thousand miles to go..."

Thursday, June 08, 2006

Volleyball

Last night was our second set of volleyball games in the Mt. Pleasant summer beach league. I was too frustrated to post after our first one, but this one went much better. We split, beating one team and losing to the other, but I think we played better together than last week. We tried something new: with all eight players present, we split into two separate teams and each team played a whole game, without any substitutions. There was never a need for a third game, because we either won both or lost both, but had a third game been necessary as a rubber match, we agreed to field the best players that evening for the final game.

I like this format. We plan to mix it up and play different people together, while keeping our teams relatively even. When not on the court, we generally peppered around to stay warm, practiced hits, or even played a friendly game of twos. I think we can perform well in this league if we can shut down this one tall dude - a member of the team to whom we lost last night. He spikes often, but not hard, and he's pretty predictable. He is, however, only getting better so we need to stay on our toes.

By the way, our team name is True Scots and everyone on it has a connection to Alma. Mitch, Jon, Matt, Kristy, Gabe, Andrea and I are obviously alumns, and our fourth girl is one of my coworkers in Admissions. Root for us every Wednesday evening!

No comments: