"So take this broken offering and make me whole,
Set my feet upon the road that leads me home,
let me walk as one fixed upon the goal,
even though I've got a thousand miles to go..."

Thursday, June 15, 2006

What's eating me.

It makes me so terribly sad (and a little mad) when people don't take care of their bodies. I'm not saying everyone needs to be super-model thin or have six-pack abs, but people who are seriously overweight should think twice about loading their grocery cart up with Twinkies and Coke and pork rinds.

It's not an aesthetic thing: it's a health thing. If someone is eating healthy and being active, it doesn't matter what her body looks like. She is taking care of this amazing vessel God has given her for her time on Earth. If someone is just shoveling crap into his mouth and spending his days doing nothing, he's not respecting a gift from God and I think that's pretty wrong.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

A deconstructive critic would point out that in your second paragraph, you use the pronoun "her" to describe the person being healthy and active, whereas you use the pronoun "him" to describe the person eating a bunch of crap... hmm... ;)

Seriously though, well said. I'm as guilty of this behavior as anyone else. That "your body is a temple of God, so treat it as such" verse really hits me where I live.

--Ryan

Laurie said...

Probably not the most proper English usage - however, the use of two different pronouns was intentional. Wouldn't want to leave either gender out of this one! :)