Friday night, Mitch and I went to the Carson City-Crystal Homecoming football game and watched arguably the worst football I've ever seen...it was, however, a great time! While Mitch spent most of the game lamenting the terribly blocking, the poor play selection, and the team's inability to tackle, I was swept up in the strange magic of high school football. Maybe it was the twinge of the cold weather combined with the scent of dewy grass and concession-stand popcorn. Maybe it was the blare of the little marching band or the dull clang of my shoes on the bleachers, or maybe it was the tangible excitement and pride of the players and their student fans when they finally managed their season's first (and likely only) win. Whatever the case, I found myself on my feet, cheering loudly as the fourth quarter drew to an exciting close.
The contrast between the Friday night game and the college spectacle I experienced could not be greater. Thanks to Ray's standing as a U of M dental student, he managed to get tickets for Kristy, Mitch, Matt and me for Saturday's game against Purdue. When I finally stepped into the Big House (after the longest walk ever!), I forgot the pain of my lovely heel blisters and was in absolute awe of the number of people packed in, chanting in unison every time the band played the fight song. The stands reminded me of Sunday Afternoon on the Island La Grande Jatte, a painting by Georges Seurat who used a technique called pointillism on that particular Neo-Impressionistic work: and by that, I mean that each little person could have been part of a whole scene, which tells you the absolute magnitude of Michigan Stadium.
Switching from football mode on Sunday, our little group packed into my new G6 for a trip to Cedar Point. It was my first in almost five years, given my aversion to waiting in long lines. But, on this nice, cool October weekend, we never waited more that 45 minutes for a ride and hit most of the coasters in the park. I was even able to doctor my feet such that I barely felt the big blisters from the day before!
And now it's Monday, and I'm feeling the excitement of the weekend fade into the background as I deal with another week of recruiting. This morning was rocky: I discovered I forgot my black dress shoes and had to borrow a pair from my mom. She has good taste, but her shoes are half a size too big and I had to outfit them with some moleskin from my blister-care supplies. Even that doesn't keep the heel from slipping when I walk, but it's better than nothing. I also experienced a (pleasant?) surprise when the PRESIDENT of the ALMA COLLEGE BOARD OF TRUSTEES showed up at one of my high school visits. He has taken a personal interest in one particular young man and decided to join him for my talk that day. Nothing like a bit of pressure! Plus another student's father was there as well, and the counselor, so I felt like a ping-pong ball, trying to answer everyone's questions and not screw up in front of the most important figure at Alma College. Happy Monday to me.
Mmmm. Must get food for strength during tonight's college fair. Must make sure all is packed so hotel stay for next three days doesn't cause more stress. Must get brain unscrambled (highly unlikely).
2 comments:
Glad to hear you had such an awesome weekend! I'm sure you knocked 'em right out of their socks there (as opposed to the reverse, which is what we typically see ;-) ) with your recruiting pitch. Bon courage!!
How I miss high school football! Thanks for bringing back some good memories.
P.S. October is *hands down* the best month to go to any amusement park. Sure, the water rides are closed, but it's not crowded and the weather isn't scorching.
Post a Comment