"So take this broken offering and make me whole,
Set my feet upon the road that leads me home,
let me walk as one fixed upon the goal,
even though I've got a thousand miles to go..."

Monday, May 19, 2008

Zoo-de-Mackinac

I did it - I completed the whole Zoo-de-Mack! Here's me and Andi (Bobby's girlfriend) at the finish:



Distance: 50.72
Time: 3 hours, 43 minutes
Average speed: 13.65 mph
Maximum speed: 32.5 mph

It was a great ride. The first 10 miles were pure hell: hill after hill after hill. Then I coasted into the Tunnel of Trees, right along Lake Michigan, and had a lovely 15 miles of beautiful views. It was still tough and I was glad to hit the halfway point and stretch out. I even had enough energy to smile for the camera:



It was also nice to meet up with the guys again, as Mitch, Bobby and Dad all left me in the dust. Here we all are, getting ready for the second leg:



The final 25 miles were great, especially because Mitch and Bobby rode with Andi and me. They served as a wall for us, blocking the wind and pushing us to keep about a 15-17 mph pace most of the way. We had a lot of laughs, too...I think this girl could be The One for my brother, and I couldn't be happier.

***

On a separate note, I would like to officially acknowledge our status as D.I.N.K.s. Please welcome the newest addition to our collection of two-wheeled toys:




Yes, we bought a motorcycle. It's a Suzuki Katana 600, for anyone who knows bikes. The high gas prices finally broke my resistance, and Mitch is using it for his daily commute. Of course, he placed a high value on the "fun-itude" of having a motorcycle! Once I get my helmet (it's kind of hard to find one small enough), we'll be cruising the back roads of mid-Michigan!

***

And on another completely unrelated note, we leave for Mammoth Cave on Friday! That's only four more days - I can't wait!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Bravo, Laurie! Nice job!!!

And way to be a DINK. ;)

--Ryan

Unknown said...

Laurie, I cannot imagine riding a bike for 50+ miles. You are amazing!! : D