While I'm in the Windy City for the Annapolis Institute (a conference for higher education professionals trying to develop/improve alumni, parent and student recruitment efforts), I'm stepping outside my comfort zone and doing some "big girl" things!
*I rode a taxi from the train station to the hotel all by myself. (I did, however, get scammed into paying someone $5 to hail one for me...dumb, but a lesson learned.)
*I rode the train back from one of the northern neighborhoods and found my way from the stop to the hotel all by myself.
*I found a good place for breakfast and joined the throngs of Chicago locals walking purposefully down the sidewalks in the morning.
It's neat to be in Chicago and I can understand how the amount of excitement and energy can draw people here. But for me, even the urban beauty of the city lights doesn't pull me in as much as do the fireflies that dot the yard outside our apartment complex. I head home tomorrow and couldn't be happier about it!
1 comment:
You know, Laurie, it's nice to see you post this entry, because those are all "big boy" things I haven't done yet (except for maybe the purposeful walking one). I thought it was just me. You give me confidence!
And amen on the fireflies. There's nowhere I'd rather be than my balcony on a summer night.
--Ryan
Post a Comment