"So take this broken offering and make me whole,
Set my feet upon the road that leads me home,
let me walk as one fixed upon the goal,
even though I've got a thousand miles to go..."

Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Personal Record

When I ran track and field in high school and college, I was all about the personal record. Each race was a chance for me to set a new PR, each practice a chance for me perfect the technique I'd need to reach my goals. And since we had two meets a week plus weekend invitationals - at least in high school - I had plenty of opportunities to be better, faster and stronger.

Mountain biking, however, only gives me fewer than ten chances per year to go out, race and potentially set a PR. And because every course is different, and a single course can change from year to year, I sometimes miss being able to set new PRs and quantifiably measure performance improvement.

But now I have a new benchmark. Yesterday, I rode home from work and blew any previous road ride PRs out of the park. I wanted to have an average speed of 15 mph or greater (previous best was 14.5 mph), and I wanted to keep my cadence in the eighties. Modest goals for anyone who is a serious cyclist, I know, but I'm kind of new to this whole road riding thing, since I just got my road bike in January. Anyway, the ride was awesome! It was a shade under 23 miles with a crosswind most of the way. I averaged 17.3 mph, did pretty well with my cadence (my computer doesn't measure the average) and finished in an hour and nineteen minutes. I should disclose that these mid-Michigan roads are pretty darn flat, and I would have been much slower if there had been hills to tackle. But I'll take what I can get!

So now, in part to satisfy my need for new PRs and in part because it's an easy way to get a good ride during the week, I plan to ride home more often. Maybe, after a few weeks, my coworkers will even stop shaking their heads when they see me in cycling attire at the end of the day. :)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

17.3 mph for twenty-three miles?? Color me impressed! That's awesome!!

-Ryan