"So take this broken offering and make me whole,
Set my feet upon the road that leads me home,
let me walk as one fixed upon the goal,
even though I've got a thousand miles to go..."

Sunday, August 15, 2010

Grandpa's Blessing

One of this morning's catch-up projects was to figure out how to arrange our "wall of shame." All our family photos, including those from our wedding, have been stuck in a drawer since we moved. Now that we're beginning to actually hang stuff on the wall - though I'm glad we've waited so we could get used to the space - I figured this was a good time to decide on frames and all that.

Anyway, Grandpa Eccles prayed a beautiful blessing at our wedding and gave us a copy, which hung among our photos. I wanted to reprint it so it looked more like a print than a plain document, so I typed it up this afternoon. As I went through it and thought about what he hopes our life together will be, I see places we're succeeding and places we occasionally stumble. I thought I'd post it here, too, because it's truly one of the most heartfelt things ever written for us.

Grandpa’s Blessing
November 24, 2004

Almighty and gracious God. Bless this marriage of Mitch and Laurie as they begin their journey together down the road of life. We do not know what lies ahead for them, for the road turns and bends. Help them make the best of whatever comes their way.

Help them to hug each other often, laugh a lot, listen to each other and argue less. Help them to continue to love each other as much as they did when they first met. Help them to realize that nothing nor anyone is perfect and to look for the good in all things and people, including themselves.

Help them to respect each others’ likes, dislikes, opinions, beliefs, hopes, dreams and fears, even though they may not understand them. Help them to learn from each other and to grow mentally, emotionally and spiritually.

Help them to create for their children a peaceful, stable home of love as a foundation upon which they can build their lives. Help them to keep lit the torch of love that they now share in their hearts, so that by their loving example, they may pass on the light of love to their children and to their children’s children.

As we gather to share this wedding feast, we are thankful for all those who gather around these tables. Remind us that Jesus often revealed Himself in the breaking of bread and be mindful that He, too, is an unseen guest in our midst.

Bless this food we are about to enjoy, and the hands that prepared it for us, for the building up of our bodies for His service. In Jesus’ name we pray. Amen.

No comments: