"So take this broken offering and make me whole,
Set my feet upon the road that leads me home,
let me walk as one fixed upon the goal,
even though I've got a thousand miles to go..."

Friday, April 08, 2005

Spring in my step

With the beautiful weather this week, I’ve been enjoying bike rides much more than sitting at a computer. I had a great time this winter, with all the skiing Mitch and I did, but I have to admit, spring smells just wonderful. On Tuesday, we went for a really long bike ride after work, down part of the unpaved rail trail and then around the lake. It was so warm and everyone was out, it seemed. When we got back, we had dinner on the balcony and looked out over the lake, which is melting more and more each day. I think when we leave, I’ll miss the view a lot. But we have The Lake, Silver Lake, and my grandparents’ cottage. Honestly, I can’t really imagine a summer without going out there often. It was 10 minutes from my house growing up and Bobby and I practically grew up on the water. When we got older, we’d hang out on the pontoon with our friends, or go wakeboarding in the afternoons, or even just run over for a quick dip after an unusually trying day being a counselor at summer camp. Actually, that was just me. Bobby’s never had a job where he really worked for anyone since he’s such a little entrepreneur. By the way, if you now of any parking lots that need their lines painted on or their potholes filled, Lyon Striping, his business, is the place to go!

Speaking of jobs, there’s not much to report on that front. I applied to some interesting positions: community relations at Barnes & Noble and the American Heart Association, plus an admissions rep position at none other than my favorite liberal arts college of all time! Now I just have to hope someone will call me back. It’s so hard to be patient. Tomorrow is Lauren’s last day at Mercy, so we’re throwing her a party and then they’re throwing me into her office to take over. The few things we’ve gone over so far seem not too complicated, but I’m sure I’ll run into a lot of questions on other stuff once I get started. More than ever, I’m going to have to approach this job with the idea of making it easy for someone to take over. I’ve tried to do that with grants, but we’ll see how well I did when the time comes. And I sincerely hope the time comes sooner rather than later!

Mitch’s job situation is going downhill by the day, it seems. A few weeks ago, he asked his boss when they would actually be making him an office manager, since he’s doing all the duties already. Well, she said she didn’t know what the timeframe was, and he was frustrated, but what could he do? Earlier this week, one of his (outspoken) tellers asked the boss, in front of Mitch, when Mitch would be the office manager, and the boss said they would not be putting him in that position after all. Obviously, Mitch was not a happy camper to hear that. He’s actually started job searching rather than just kind of keeping his eyes open, but an opportunity may have arisen on its own. The family grapevine is always humming, and it was only a matter of time before word got around that the Northerners, the first ones to leave the family area, were thinking about coming home. So my Aunt Shari calls me (by the way, she’s a great, though kind of crazy, lady) this morning to let me know (a) if the rumor was true and (b) that Mitch should call Republic Bank in South Lyon and talk to the manager, her personal banker, about a job. It turns out that in the event that the rumor was correct, she mentioned Mitch to this guy, who she says loves her because her and my uncle’s company, Thompson Construction (yes, we are a family of small business owners, apparently), brings them lots o’ money. Anyway, the guy said yes, have Mitch call or come see him. I haven’t told Mitch the news yet because he’s not home from work, but hopefully he’ll make the call tomorrow at lunch or something. One more addition, though; the guy’s last name is Horny. Yes. Horny. As an adult, I’m supposed to be above immature humor. But come on, could you seriously call this guy and address him as Mr. Horny? I’ve called guys that before, but for obvious reasons!

When I’m not thinking about jobs and moving, I’m thinking about climbing! Only 15 days ‘til we leave for West Virginia! That is always, ALWAYS the best week of the entire year. I am not kidding…it’s even better than Christmas! Everyone here thinks I’m absolutely crazy, except – oddly – the Mary Kay consultant at the last make-up party I got dragged to. She is a climber, too, though with kids she doesn’t get to go as much. She has two kids and was very pregnant with another at the party, but she says she’s climbed ‘til she was about 5 months along with each of them. Aw yeah, that’s me someday…in the distant, distant future…

Just a final note: if you are a Christian music fan, you NEED to get Jars of Clay’s newest CD, Redemption Songs. If you live in Alma, support your local business and go to the Scripture Palace downtown and pick it up. You might be able to preview entire (select) tracks at www.jarsofclay.com. And I believe their next Michigan concert is in August, so if you are interested in going, you can bet Mitch and I will be there!

No comments: