Generally, I don't debate politics/religion (unfortunately, the line between them is monstrously blurred), especially at work. When I talk about politics/religion with my friends, even those who hold different beliefs than me, we can usually have an interesting, challenging debate in which both sides effectively acknowledge the value of the other's argument and are not afraid to agree with well-developed points. We may not (and rarely do) change each other's minds but we listen to and consider each other's viewpoints.
So today we're on our way to lunch and I mention my weekend plans to see "The Chronicles of Narnia" and how I'm very excited after viewing the trailer at the church Mitch and I have been attending. She proceeds to go off on how she thinks it ridiculous how many churches are all excited about this movie, because it's just a fantasy story. I replied that I agree that you can completely enjoy this story just for the story and it's still wonderful, but that there's no denying the Christian allegories in the text. C.S. Lewis, I tell her, is one of the foremost Christian authors of our time and even though he says he didn't set out to write a Christian allegory, even he couldn't keep parellels to the Bible out of his stories. At this point, I'm expecting something intelligent back, some sort of response, but all I get is the stubborn, "But it's just a movie!" *Sigh.* So I change the subject, because it's not worth debating anything with someone who is so entrenched in her opinions that she doesn't hear what others say and can't respond any way other than restating her position without support.
This coworker happens to be a great friend of mine at work, by the way, but she reinforced my decision not to debate anything with her.
2 comments:
You know, my high school geometry teacher, who was a genius at all kinds of math, failed his senior English class in college. He had to write a final paper on Animal Farm, and as he explained it to us, "I wrote about all the little piggies and horsies and how they played together!" For some reason you've got me thinking about that now... ;)
-Ryan
"When I talk about politics/religion with my friends, even those who hold different beliefs than me, we can usually have an interesting, challenging debate in which both sides effectively acknowledge the value of the other's argument and are not afraid to agree with well-developed points."
I've always longed for a group I could do that with--whenever I think of discussing politics or religion with anyone, I often get all nervous and sweaty just thinking about long "discussions" we'd have in college... discussions that were actually people just battering each other with their own ideas, not really willing to listen to anyone else's side. Slamming the other person's belief and calling it (or even them) names is NOT a discussion!
...and I'm done.
~CH
Post a Comment