"So take this broken offering and make me whole,
Set my feet upon the road that leads me home,
let me walk as one fixed upon the goal,
even though I've got a thousand miles to go..."

Friday, April 07, 2006

Apologies

In the past few months, I've attended dance concerts, a track meet and Honors Day presentations at Alma College, partly because I enjoy them and partly to recognize and support the efforts of my friends as they complete their time at Alma College. I realized, after sacrificing lunch to watch part of a home track meet, that I was ridiculously self-centered in college. I never attended choir concerts, dance shows, orchestra concerts, athletic events, Honors presentations, or anything else to support my friends, not because I wanted to be a jerk but because I was too busy and wrapped up in what I had to do. I lost sight of how good it made me feel to see my friends at dance recitals or sporting events in high school, and I would truly like to apologize for that.

Some of this preceded an insightful email sent by one of my friends to the entire campus community. If you're curious, go to http://www.xanga.com/marchon2884 to read it. Marc makes some good points and gives me a lot to think about, not only in the context of my experiences at Alma but also those in the "real world." I have found, since graduating, that time with friends is sometimes more important than a good night's sleep; that the world will not end if I press pause on my work; and that making an effort to really KNOW my family is more valuable than any academic accomplishment or accolade in the workplace. I feel like I've done a good job balancing work and home, and am able to resist the pressure to work insane hours and make my career my life. I know I still have a long way to go in discovering and accepting what is truly important in this world, but I'm working on it.

No comments: