"So take this broken offering and make me whole,
Set my feet upon the road that leads me home,
let me walk as one fixed upon the goal,
even though I've got a thousand miles to go..."

Monday, October 16, 2006

What's Wrong in Our Schools

There is an unfortunate trend occuring in high schools. I thought we had moved past it, learned from our mistakes. It's sobering to know I was wrong about stretch pants.

Revealing every unfortunate line, enhancing every unflattering jiggle, this fashion faux pas is not the newest hit, highlighted on fashionable websites and in magazines. Why oh why, all all things '80s, did these have to return to torture another generation, who will look back on high school yearbooks in shame?

Stretch pants have their place: on older women in the gym, perhaps, or in yoga class (though buy them with a bit of a flare, please), or as I'll admit to using them, on a climbing wall. But not, for the love of all things truly flattering, as a real part of one's wardrobe to be worn on a regular basis.

And no, wearing them under a skirt does not make them look any better. Sporting boots over them doesn't help, either, nor does a shirt that covers your hips, even if you wear a belt on the outside.

Let me make my position clear: the '80s gave us rockin' hair bands, some timeless toys and real Saturday morning cartoons. They did not, however, contribute anything positive to the fashion world. The only good thing to be said about this season is that short shirts are out, significantly reducing the number of disturbing muffin top sightings.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I guess the best I can say is that if I were female, I would probably agree with you. That said, stretch pants are high on the list of fashion trends that do not bother me. ;)

--Ryan

Anonymous said...

Personally, my fashion pet peeve of the 80s was mesh. I think that its resurgence came and went a few years ago... *shudder*

~CH

Anonymous said...

Yesterday at school I saw a total blast from the past fashion trend on one of my students. It reminded me of the days when my older sister was a teenager growing up in the 80's and I would sneak into her bedroom and look through her stuff and steal her clothes and right there in her top dresser drawer, next to all the different colored socks that stretched half way up your calf were the... leg-warmers. Aaggghhhh! They're back! The girlnI saw at school was wearing black legwarmers from ankle to mid calf, with black pointy pumps, black nylons, and a skirt.

Glad your traveling is almost done.