"So take this broken offering and make me whole,
Set my feet upon the road that leads me home,
let me walk as one fixed upon the goal,
even though I've got a thousand miles to go..."

Saturday, September 19, 2009

A Beautiful Day

On this lovely Saturday:

*I went to the Orientation Committee Recognition Brunch up in Mt. Pleasant. Since The Embers closed, we've struggled to find a nice venue for this, and I think it's an important event, particularly to provide some closure for the seniors. This year, though, we found a winner: Riverwood Resort, where they provided a fantastic brunch for our students.

*I swung by the Alumni Board meeting. It's usually a bit intense, but I've gotten used to the 20 minutes of grilling I get each time. As always, though, the group is supportive and enthusiastic.

*I gutted the garden along our front sidewalk and replaced the ragged hostas with bright, beautiful mums from Harrier Farms in St. Louis. They have the most beautiful plants; in fact, when I decided I needed another mum and drove to Andy T's in St. Johns, I couldn't bring myself to buy one of their less attractive (more expensive!) mums. I did, however, treat myself to half a peck of Empire apples (the best!) and a loaf of fresh sourdough bread.

*I made chicken salad - a favorite of mine, though Mitch isn't a fan - and applesauce from the overpriced, not-great-for-eating Macintosh apples from Uncle Johns. The apples smelled to good simmering on the stove, and I still have plenty for a pie tomorrow. Maybe apple-raspberry?

*I unpacked all my books, officially completing my little library in the new house. Well, it's complete except for the chair and a half that will eventually replace my bowl chair, anyway!

*As the sun set, I settled myself on the couch to wrestle with the Internet (our Verizon Air Card doesn't work so well, so I think we'll take it back and get the local wireless service) and do some homework. After this nice little break, I swear I'll finish my management chapter on evaluating environmental opportunities!

Oh, blessed weekend...

No comments: