"So take this broken offering and make me whole,
Set my feet upon the road that leads me home,
let me walk as one fixed upon the goal,
even though I've got a thousand miles to go..."

Wednesday, September 09, 2009

The Whirlwind I Call My Life

Whirlwind...that's an apt description for everything right now! First, we closed on our house last Thursday and immediately got to work. So far, we've painted everything on the main floor (the basement will be a winter project) and just have a few more touch-ups to do. I started cleaning last night and hope to finish up tomorrow while Stanley Steemer cleans the carpets. We've also installed two of the three screen/storm doors we bought. For the next two days, then, we'll be packing up our apartment in preparation for Saturday's big move. Yikes!

Second, my fifth term in grad school started this weekend. I have two management classes: Strategic Management and Global Dimensions of Management. I don't have a sense of the workload yet, but I hope I don't fall too far behind over the weekend. In addition to the move, I have Mim's bachelorette party on Saturday night, and then I have to head down to my parents' to pick up Chip since he'll be staying there while we move. But good news: this is my second-to-last term. MBA, here I come!

Third, work is insane. I just finished two all-consuming weeks with the Orientation Committee, guiding them through training and Preterm. They have become an absolutely awesome group over the past few years...completely different from their traditional image, in many ways. I'm so proud of them! When I get a spare minute, I'll try to post their spoof on the alma mater from A to Z. It was pretty hilarious! In addition to wrapping up with the OCs, I'm helping plan an extensive two-day photo shoot, I'm a member of the steering committee for the implementation of the new campus-wide administrative software program, I'm planning travel season for my new little recruitment territory (Clinton and Ingham counties), I'm doing Web and portal upgrades in preparation for next year, I'm trying to get publications finished, and I'm getting the Alumni Ambassadors rolling for the upcoming year. Phew!

Fourth, I'd like to talk about how I'm still training and spending lots of time on the bike...but truthfully, my racing season is done and I haven't had time to do more than hit the Rec a couple of times since Maybury. I even bought a sweet new helmet that I have yet to actually try out! Mitch hasn't been able to ride much, either, primiarily because his knee was healing so slowly. But he took his stitches out this weekend and went for an easy road ride, which he said felt good. I know neither of us can race Addison this weekend (bummer, because I really like the course) but I believe Mitch is still considering Pando, if he can get back in good riding condition. Otherwise, he'll simply focus on Iceman in November. Overall, I have to say this has been an awesome racing season for us. Being a part of the On 2 Wheels team was great, and I definitely improved over last year. I look forward to some good training this winter so I can be an even stronger racer next year.

OK, I have to go run some errands around campus now. Thanks for reading this insanely long update!

No comments: