"So take this broken offering and make me whole,
Set my feet upon the road that leads me home,
let me walk as one fixed upon the goal,
even though I've got a thousand miles to go..."

Wednesday, September 08, 2004

Restless and ranting

Oh my, whatever am I going to do with myself. Life is so wonderful...I have what I've always wanted, or thought I wanted: a nice little town and a good job, a great place to settle down...ach, those words "settle down" are suddenly making me cringe! That's right, I'm feeling restless, like now that I am kind of settled I should be getting up and moving on. A conversation with Mitch last night revealed the possible causes:

1. Work is moving too slow. I haven't had much to do since the initial first blast of submitting two urgent grants, and I feel like I am not accomplishing anything. Plus, I'm missing the passion on which I thrive. This is way nerdy, but last year, working with SIFE to make such big changes, I really felt like I was making a difference. I loved it, I would have done it for my job if I could, and now I'm chained to a computer (without being allowed any personal websurfing, no less!) trying to figure out how to get money for projects I of which I will never be a significant part (other than the money thing, which I guess is way significant, but it's not the same as say, actually DOING a program). I need to feel like I am actually accomplishing something. And yes, this will come in time at work, and yes, I just have to be patient, but NO, I don't want to wait!

2. This one is more obscure, I think. I am afraid no where will ever really feel like home, so I don't want to give this place a chance in case it fails. Maybe that is stretching it a bit, but I think I can see how it might work.

3. I am envious! Yes, envious of my friends who are either doing grea things, preparing to do great things, or have already done great things! I'm not ready to settle down to a nice country life because I haven't SEEN anything, I haven't DONE anything! Why aren't I having great adventures, living by the seat of my pants? I'll tell you why: because I am boring. I am safe and predictable and putting money into a retirement fund, for pete's sake. That's just me, but sometimes I wish I could be more.

OK, enough ranting, I'm going to rebel right here in the Cadillac Public Library, where I'm getting ready to settle down with a nice fat book of Michigan foundations and scan 3-columned pages for the words "health, health care, medicine, building," etc. Sorry for the confused negativity, that's not my usual style, but sometimes you just get, well, restless.

No comments: