"So take this broken offering and make me whole,
Set my feet upon the road that leads me home,
let me walk as one fixed upon the goal,
even though I've got a thousand miles to go..."

Thursday, March 30, 2006

I am a wuss.

Yes. Wimp, 'fraidy-cat, take your pick.

I led one climb at the wall last night and Mitch tried to get me to rappel down and clean the draws off the wall at the same time. I was all hooked up, ATC in place and everything...and I couldn't do it.

You may recall my absolutely terrifying experience trying to rappel at Summersville last spring. Only 25 feet off the ground, indoors, and I still got all panicky. The thought of having to lower myself and take a hand off the rope to awkwardly take draws off the wall was just too much.

Mitch tried to be stern with me, thinking a Tim-like approach would work. Nope. I refused and sat there like a stubborn child on the brink of unnecessary tears until he agreed to bring me down himself, like normal. He tried telling me I was going to have to do it outdoors and I told him there was no way I was doing that again.

Wuss. Wimp. 'Fraidy cat.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hahaha, I don't think you're a wuss Laurie! I think you are super brave! :) Hope you're doing well! Chat with you soon!

Love, Jenn

Anonymous said...

Hey, I was offered a sky-diving trip once, and I absolutely refused. I think everyone has his / her own personal limits, phobias, what have you. Don't worry about it too much. : )

~CH

Anonymous said...

Laurie, crap, the fact that you're on the wall at all means that I can never call you a wuss. Don't beat yourself up - just focus on your climbing specialties and do them well.

Incidentally, I love the reference to a "Tim-like" method of teaching. ;)

Ryan