What stood out this year:
1. Spending quality time with Mitch's family, including his sister, Christa and her husband, Brian, with whom we don't get to individually bond very much.
2. Seeing my cousin's wife, Jessica, and her son, Giovanni (or "Bubba") at our family Christmas celebration. Though my cousin, Joe, is has a serious a recurring drug problem and she's threatened to leave him (as well she should, given his past behavior), she still embraces our entire family and comes to all possible events. Joe's currently in rehab and I'm praying that this time, Joe is really committed to turning his life around for his son and wife.
3. Watching my Papa walk like a champ after his recent knee-replacement surgery.
4. Being able to spend Christmas morning with my Grandpa Eccles. This is our first Christmas without Grandma, and I know he misses her more than I can imagine. (Isn't it a paradox how we want to hold on to memories of loved ones so they live on in our hearts, yet those memories hurt so much to recall because we miss them so much?)
5. Talking to my cousins from Arizona, Todd and Ryan, and learning all about Ryan's son, Landon. Though Landon was spending the holidays with his mother, we'll meet him next year "when he's old enough to actually remember Christmas," as Ryan puts it.
6. Not opening presents with my dad's side of the family, because we bought gifts for children in Detroit instead.
7. Watching Chip open and play with his new gift: a "Boogie Mat" filled with catnip!
Now we're getting ready for our cruise - countdown is four days, I can't believe it! I hope everyone had a merry, memorable Christmas!
No comments:
Post a Comment