Well, I'm nearing the end of another travel season. This has been the easiest one so far, mostly because I got to see Mitch throughout most of it. I suppose I'm also a bit more used to it, but I sure am tired of it by now. It's like the last 100 meters of a set of 400 meter repeats: you've been pushing yourself really hard, and you're too exhausted to even feel any sense of satisfaction. The satisfaction comes later, when you've had time to reflect on all you've accomplished.
I can't wait to get back to St. Johns. (I almost wrote "Mt. Pleasant!") I want to truly settle into our new place, and take Chip home, too. He has been staying at my parents' nonstop since mid-September and now he's going to have to get used to a new home, just like Mitch and me. And speaking of the new home, here are some highlights:
*I already like having the master bathroom. I didn't think I would, but now I can devote a whole bathroom to our guests...and that means I better keep getting overnight visitors!
*I love the laundry room! It's so convenient, and I've been able to use some of the space to make up for the lack of cabinet space in the kitchen.
*And the kitchen: a more open floor and newer appliances make it a very nice place to cook. I'm sure I'll rearrange a few things, but so far I'm happy.
*The living and dining rooms have cathedral ceilings, which make the space look bigger than it actually is. Nice, very nice!
The biggest adjustment, other than the commute to Alma, is that we are not getting cable for now. Charter charges an arm and a leg for cable, so we've been on a really basic plan that only offers network stations. Since the writers' strike continues, most of our favorite shows will run out of episodes by the end of the month. Why should we pay to flip through a bunch of reality TV and reruns, which we won't end up watching anyway? And we don't even need to worry about Internet right away, because someone in our building has wireless. That means we can explore other Internet options for a bit while still having access as needed. To meet our entertainment and news needs, we're thinking about increasing our Blockbuster Online plan and subscribing to the newspaper. I think I can handle that!
And on a completely unrelated note, the holiday season is beginning and the weekends are filling up with all sorts of wonderful plans. Here's what's coming up for us:
This weekend: The final Alma College fall open house, deer hunting for Mitch, and a trip to Bronner's to buy some ornaments as a wedding gift
Thanksgiving: Dinner with my family, dinner with Mitch's family in Ohio, and Christmas tree cutting with my family
December 1: The first Alma College scholarship competition and a wedding
December 8: The Dart Christmas party
December 15: A weekend of winter and wine in Travese City, with all luck
December 22: Christmas weekend - plans TBD
New Years: The big party at Jon's!
First weekend in January: Grandpa's 85th birthday party
Second weekend in January: MY birthday! Goodbye 25, hello 26...
Busy busy!
3 comments:
Ooohhh what is a weekend of winter and wine?
Yeah for end of travel season! Nice work keep our school in business.
Heya! I don't think I actually know on which date you were born...is that something I can learn through Facebook?
Anyway, congrats on plowing on through to the end!
Post a Comment