"So take this broken offering and make me whole,
Set my feet upon the road that leads me home,
let me walk as one fixed upon the goal,
even though I've got a thousand miles to go..."

Thursday, November 13, 2008

It's Just a Cold!

What I wish I could say to every coworker who has suggested I go home/take a day off:

It's just a cold. I'm not going to die. I'm drinking fluids (the Nalgene next to me is almost empty) and getting sleep. Yup, I'm tired and I don't feel all that great, but I don't stay home for colds. Taking sick days only when absolutely necessary is part of my work ethic, so you're just going to have to deal with me. I'll shut my door so you stop feeling obligated to say "Bless you" every time I sneeze.

Thanks. Now I need to blow my nose.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

OK, yes, BUT: Are you sure you're not contagious? Because that's probably what they're not-so-subtly trying to get at. I used to fight through colds and now I go for the day off - and I really appreciate when my coworkers do the same. My $0.02.

--Ryan

Laurie said...

Nope, I'm probably contagious. But unless someone else wants to take over my work for me, they're just going to have to deal with me. I will, however, wash my hands religiously and do my best not to breathe on anyone. :)