"So take this broken offering and make me whole,
Set my feet upon the road that leads me home,
let me walk as one fixed upon the goal,
even though I've got a thousand miles to go..."

Thursday, June 23, 2005

In Response

If you haven't, check out Robin's comment on my last post. It really got me thinking so I figured I'd better respond!

To my wonderful Robin:
You're right, it can be so rewarding to discover a new area and have new experiences. All of us took that step when we left our homes and came up here, because by the time we walked out with our degrees, Alma had become a home to many of us. I'm glad I took that step away from all that was comfortable and familiar, but at no time during my "settling in" process at Alma did I feel as discontent as I did in Cadillac. I have no doubt that someday Mitch and I will take the plunge and seek out new ventures...maybe when we decided to go to grad school, since it's unlikely we'll choose CMU as the place to earn our MBAs. But as much as I would have liked to be able to embrace all that Cadillac had to offer, I just couldn't. Maybe it wasn't the right time, or maybe it's not the right place, but even though I sometimes feel I've "given up" on living in a new place (especially in light of the challenges you and Grant have overcome in your new home), I know there was a reason I went there and a reason Mitch and I left. New locales are for some people more than others and I haven't felt, so far, like I'm missing out on anything by returning to a place of comfort. I hope, though, that Mitch and I can come visit you while you are out there so you can show us some of the wonderful things you've come to love about the Bay.

OK, switching tracks now, things at work are coming along. We have another "Becoming a Scot Day" tomorrow, which means students who have deposited/committed to Alma come and hang out for the day while we make them sit through sessions on academic advising and college transitions. It's kind of like being a grown-up OC. We had another one last Friday and I pretty much just hung out in Dow and tried to be useful, but this time I'm taking a group of kids around to their sessions. I also have to kill half an hour in a "get to know your classmates" activity. Now no offense to anyone, but I'm definitely opposed to those cheesy games. They are great for people who are already semi-comfortable around each other (aka, OCs or RAs during training) but I don't think they serve any purpose with these poor incoming freshman who basically (most of them) just want to blend in and not do anything stupid. So, I think I'm going to randomly pair them up, give them some ideas of stuff to talk about for 5-10 minutes, and then have each person tell the group about their partner. We had to do that for OC interviews and it was by far the easiest way to get to know someone quickly and painlessly. None of this "say your name and an adjective starting with the same letter that describes your personality" crap. Boo.

Well, one hour of work left and then I'm a golf widow again. I never thought Mitch would actually take up golf, but he says "business gets conducted on the golf course," so he needs to learn how to play a respectable game. I'm not quite sure if the key to being "respectable" is hanging out with Jon, Gabe and Matt, but he's having fun. Last night was a laundry day for me, which was actually an excuse to sit around and relax because I didn't want to start anything else when I knew another load would be coming out of dryer "any minute." Tonight, though, I swear I'm going to clean up the rest of the apartment and pack for the weekend. Mitch and I are going down to Minda and Derek's tomorrow after work, staying the night, loading a trailer of furniture and such the next day and driving because to Carson City with the truck and trailer. M & D plus all four (as of June 28!) kids are moving to Colorado because that's where Derek got a job offer, but they are not planning to stay long so they're storing everything but what fits in their two cars at Jeff and Carla's house. They're also going to live with Jeff and Carla for about a month before they make the trek out West. So anyway, we're bring the trailer home and unloading it, Jeff and Carla are staying for baby Mia's birth then bringing the three older kids back with them, and Minda, Derek and Mia will follow once Minda can travel (she's having a C-section and getting her tubes tied, so this is the last Smith child). Anyway, when we're also playing mud volleyball at Mitch's church on Sunday, but we're currently one player short, so if you're reading this and want to play, please call me!

Well, I guess I should be productive, so back to work! And you, I know you are just procrastinating from SOMETHING, so get to it! Hehehe! :)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I couldn't agree more with you! That's all I have to say ;) Have a great weekend!

Love, Jenn