Well, the move this weekend went very well. After work on Friday, Mitch, my mom and I hauled boxes down to the trailer Mom brought until probably 9 pm or so. It was tiring work but it felt good to get it all done. Bobby and Dad came up that night and in the morning, we tackled the furniture. It probably took three hours or so until the trailers were ready to roll out, but Mom and I stayed behind to clean the carpet. It’s required in our lease, though Mitch says it’s a state law that the landlords have to clean the carpet and they can’t make their tenants do it. Oh well, I wasn’t in the mood for a battle. It took about an hour, so we were on the road by noon, I think. We stopped twice on the way: once to clean up Chip’s cage because he had a little, stinky accident and once to pick up subs from Subway. That side trip took longer than expected, though, because I locked the keys in the car and had to call Cingular Roadside Assistance for the second time in less than a year. Oops. I’m trying to get in the habit of using the clicker to lock my car once I get out of it, to prevent this from happening again.
So, here’s what our apartment is like. It’s on the second story, all the way to the back of the complex and in the far back corner of our unit. The kitchen has more cupboard space than our old one, and is just to the right as you walk in the door. It also has a dishwasher…yay! The living room is just to the left as you walk in, and it’s significantly smaller than our old one, so with the big sectional, we’ll call it “cozy.” We have a big window on the far left side of the living room that looks out onto our balcony, and there’s just a regular door around the corner to go outside onto the balcony. We have a nice view of the pet run area, which is a huge, grassy, football field-sized lawn. Best part: you have to pick up after your pets, so I’m thinking football and Frisbee games. OK, back inside, there is a dining area on the right side just past the kitchen, and then you just walk straight into a hallway that leads to the bedrooms and bathroom. The guest room is on the left, and across the hall is a bathroom. The master bedroom is straight back and it’s huge! We easily have enough room for our dressers, the bed, and even the bowl chair that would no longer fit in the living room. There’s also a walk-in closet that’s about as big as our old bathroom. Weird part: we have a sink and mirror in our bedroom. Odd. I think I can deal, seeing as you barely notice it when the bedroom door is open. We have some very nice trees by the windows, to Chip hops up onto the window sills, watches the birds and even talks to them! Seriously, they chirp and he meows right back. It’s very cute.
For most of Saturday evening, we unpacked, then hit the hay at about 10 pm because we were so beat. Yesterday we did even more unpacking and some repacking, especially in the kitchen where I rearranged almost all the upper cupboards. I think I’m picky. Anyway, it started to feel comfortable and I was really happy. I hope we can make this place feel like home. Cadillac never really felt like home. We were so excited when we moved here, but the novelty wore off quickly when we discovered that we didn’t really fit in up here. I hope Mt. Pleasant can be different. I think it will be, mainly because of the fact that we already know some people in the general area, like Gabe, Andrea, Baleja, Jon D. and all the kids still at Alma.
One more thing before I sign off for the day: I sold the Probe! A family with a sixteen year-old girl bought it so they could fix it up for her. I hope she has *almost* as much fun as Bobby and I had in that thing. I hope she doesn’t hit any curbs doing donuts in the snow, though, and I hope she doesn’t attempt any monkey business in the back seat, because it’s much too small and uncomfortable for that. I’m happy that it will be some other girl’s first car…I get sentimental about things like this, and I definitely tend to assign feelings to inanimate objects, so I think the Probe will like this arrangement, too.
No comments:
Post a Comment