Well, it's the last half hour of another busy day, so rather than find something to do, I think I'll just give you all an update. I'm really liking my new job (and not just because I haven't uncovered any "personal use of the Internet" restrictions, either)...it keeps me busy and I actually feel like I am accomplishing things when I come into the office. Mainly, the last week and a half has been filled with learning the ins and outs of the office, figuring out the admissions process from an internal standpoint, learning about the schools I'll be visiting, putting together a preliminary fall travel schedule and trying to decorate the sterile box called my office. I've also taken over files from one of the reps, Deedee, who is on vacation in Greece for three weeks. I have kids to call about getting essential information in and a whole stack of students who have not told us whether or not they want to come to Alma. Those ones are the hardest, because at this point most of them are going somewhere else. But if I can get just three more deposits, I think I'll have fulfilled Deedee's quota for the year. I've also started contacting kids who are interested in coming here next year.
So enough about work! We're loving life in Mt. Pleasant...just in the past two weeks, we've gone climbing twice, mountain biking, played volleyball, had company for dinner and basically just had fun! Over the weekend, we went to my parents' house for Father's Day, and that was awesome. I think we spent a lot of money, between having our wedding portait framed and buying Mitch some golf clubs (he wants to learn to play better with Jon this summer), but that's OK. We've been saving for "fun things," and I'm thinking of taking some of my funds and investing in a wakeboard. I've always just used Bobby's, but I think it's time to get my own so I can use it at Jon's this summer. Anyway, at home we also got the chance to hang out at the lake, which resulted in sore muscles from skiing and wakeboarding and a nice bit of sun on my face and tummy. Hey, Bobby was complaining that I was so white, it hurt his eyes to look at me, so I'm on my way to tan-ness!
Tangent: My dad is awesome. I was so proud of him this weekend. He's been restoring an old Chris Craft (gorgeous wooden boats) for the last seven or so years and though he launched it last fall, this weekend was kind of like its first entrance into the boating world. When he got it, it was a piece of crap...I'll see if I can post some pics on Yahoo. Now it's a work of art...beautiful, smooth, shiny wood, awesome details...still having some trouble with the carberator, but it's the original engine for pete's sake. Anyway, on Sunday, all that he had done just kind of hit me. We took him skiing behind it, and skiing is probably something he loves as much as working with wood. He was grinning the whole time, which is so cute because he's usually all serious and focused. See, he's not your typical recreational skier...he skies the course and is basically better at it than anyone I know personally. So there's my dad, rippin' it up behind his very own creation. Awesome.
So back to the update...yesterday I woke up exhausted and sore from the weekend of activity, but we were determined to get some climbing and volleyball in after work. Despite being sore, I made giant improvements in one top-roping route that is one of my goals. Caleb says it's a 5.10 but I think it's more of a 5.9+. The start is hard because it's overhung and requires a lot of hand strength, and then the move right before the finish is tricky. That's where I got, and I just spent too much time thinking about the move instead of doing it, which made me too wimpy to actually make the move. Next time, for sure. I didn't do too much bouldering, but there don't seem to really be many routes I can handle. Give it time, tbough. So after about an hour, I went to play vball with Mitch, Gabe and Jon. The first weekend we were in Mt. P, we took Gabe up to Cadillac and then to Lake City to hang out with Jon. The four of us played a few awesome games of twos, and though I don't think we played quite as well last night, we're not as rusty as we thought. My serves, especially, are improving. I made more than I missed last night, which is NOT the norm. I hope I can keep it up, because we are playing in a Fourth of July tourney with Jon. Unfortunately, I rocked my neck trying to bump a ball over backwards from the back line. Result: headache all day long today! I think I'm more sore today, but I have tonight and tomorrow to rest those muscles.
Speaking of tonight, we are having a wine and cheese party at Jon and Caleb's behest. I think there are eight people coming over, which means I'm (1) buying some bar stools so people can sit at our counter/bar thing and (2) making an enormous pot of spaghetti. Oh yeah, and I have to clean, too. All in about an hour from the time I get home. Or maybe it's more like a half an hour. I dunno. It'll be fun, though, and kind of a send-off for Ben Tidman, who is going to New Zealand next Monday for the whole semester. It can also be a congratulatory evening for Jillian and Chelsey, who are getting married this summer.
Well lookee there, I killed a half an hour! Time to pack up and roll outta here!
2 comments:
Hey, Laurie!
Hope your little wine-and-cheese night went well. It's such a travesty to be out here, where the Frogs dominate, and not be able to afford wine-and-cheese nights. The wine is excellent, and cheap -- a good bottle will cost no more than 5 dollars -- but the cheese can require a second mortgage. Agh! And the cheese is SOOO GOOOD....
NEway, I hope you had a wonderful time, and I am psyched that your new job is going so well. Although I have to say, all this talk of vball and climbing is making me mad jealous...not to mention nervous about attempting any sort of triumphant return. I'm gonna have to make sure I get to play a couple days with my bros before we come out, or I'ma SUCK!
Hope all's well. Hug the caveman for me.
Love,
T
Sounds like the move is really working out for you two! I hope that life in Mt. Pleasant continues to go well. It must be nice to have a free place to climb just about when ever you want to!
As I've been thinking about your move, there have definately been times when I wish I were closer to old friends. But then I think about all of the amazing experiences I have had here and how cool discovering a new place can be. When the new place is as far removed from the place where you grew up, as the Bay Area is, the discovery experience lasts for quite some time. Eventhough you two were homesick now and that is want made you move, I hope that some day you will find another motivation where you will go out to some place totally new and soak in the culture. The bay is like no where else you've been. As for the friends and family, there's always webcams, email, and phones! Although I'm not sure how you would play volleyball through any of those.
Post a Comment