I was driving home from my spontaneous jaunt to Grand Rapids when that song, "Wildflowers" by some country artist came on the radio. (What's wrong with me? I keep listening to country and I'll blame it on the lack of a consistently good classic rock station in Mt. P.) Chorus goes:
What ya' say we go pickin' wildflowers?
I got a spot way back in the woods.
Slip away for a couple of hours,
You and me baby, pickin' wildflowers.
I thought to myself, as I listened to the rest of the sexual innuendo in the song ("Gonna' get a little piece...on earth"), "Yeah, wouldn't that be hot?" Um, no. The fantasy was shattered when I remember that fooling around in the woods means contending with lots of pesky insects. (Exception: April nights in West Virginia) So this made me think, not for the first time, that songs make a lot of other less-than-desirable things sound really, really fun. Clubbing does not equal sexy, at least not at the clubs I've ever been to. It's just a lot of sweating and getting your ass grabbed by scary-looking dudes who are probably in their 30s and think high school chicks are hot and available. Lots of drinking in a public places is not cool for me, either. I end up really self-conscious because I don't want to do anything dumb, but I do anyway and then I'm all embarrassed the next day. What else is there...oh yeah, sex in the back of a car. NO. Don't go there. Zero comfort. And a bed of roses, Jon Bon Jovi? Hellooooooo, thorns. And we all know the random sex that's so very sexy in rap songs is really just an invitation for an STD or a little surprise.
That's my rant. I still love the "Wildflowers" song though. :)
2 comments:
Pickin' wildflowers... wild... flowers... oh, I get it! ;)
I love this entry, Laurie. It's so true! No wonder so many teenagers are disgruntled when they actually do the deed and it's "not like the songs said it would be." You know, I was just listening to "Out of the Frying Pan" by the immortal Meat Loaf, wherein he describes in great detail how it's like 1394 degrees outside and then says he wants the woman to come to his apartment so he can take her "out of the frying pan and into the fire." Sorry, but sex is like the least appealing activity on a day like that. I bet in real life, he was like, "I wanna take you into the fire," and she said, "No, dammit. Buy me a fan."
And that's all I got.
Ryan
Haha, I'm cracking up in my office right now! That's so absolutely true! Buy me a fan...yeah, that'd be my response, for sure.
Post a Comment