"So take this broken offering and make me whole,
Set my feet upon the road that leads me home,
let me walk as one fixed upon the goal,
even though I've got a thousand miles to go..."

Wednesday, December 26, 2007

Now the real work begins.

Now this is great: it's almost noon and I'm still in my PJs, robe and slippers. I feel cute, not lazy, as my PJs are new from VS and my slippers are fuzzy and pink. I also feel productive, because for the past hour or so I've been starting all the projects I've put off 'til after the holidays. Since I have the rest of the week off, I figured I should probably get rockin' on the following:

1. My return to academia: I signed up for Business Law at Alma because many MBA programs seem to be requiring it. That and I really need to get back into class mode if I want to survive...

2. ...my foray into graduate school! I've been researching programs this morning and am currently considering Northwood University, U of M Flint and possibly Cornerstone. My initial criteria includes location (Northwood and Cornerstone have branch campuses in Lansing) and how the programs fit with my schedule (U of M Flint is online with traditional classroom work every sixth weekend). More evaluation to come, I'm sure.

3. The great homestead quest: while we've been passively examining options for acreage in the greater Lansing area, an email I sent to our realtor should have her on the phone with me to organize the various online searches she's set up for us. The goal is 10+ acres by spring, then house-building the following spring.

4. And finally, the very quiet job search: this is definitely on the DL, but since I think I know who reads this, I'm OK disclosing because I don't think any of you are going to go a-blabbing. For the record, I like my job; it is fulfilling and I feel an immense sense of responsibility to the students and families with whom I work. However, I've know since I started that it wouldn't be a career and with our new move to the Lansing area, it feels like the right time to start looking for other opportunities down here. This week, I plan to update ye olde resume and touch base with a Lansing non-profit connection my dad suggested. With items 1-3 also in the works, I'll be very selective about my jobs, mainly because I won't be able to take a pay cut like last time and because I don't need to switch positions right now. Don't worry, I'll keep you all updated!

Other (more fun) things to look forward to this week: an overnight visit from my cousin, Dayna; basement-painting with Miriam; and New Years Eve at Jon's! And now, maybe I'll go get dressed. We need groceries and I need to go strut it in my new Arc'teryx coat, my wonderful Christmas present from my wonderful husband! (Yes, I know Meijer is not exactly hardcore enough for such a badass jacket, but I'll be on the slopes soon!)

No comments: