"So take this broken offering and make me whole,
Set my feet upon the road that leads me home,
let me walk as one fixed upon the goal,
even though I've got a thousand miles to go..."

Thursday, April 03, 2008

Lessons from the Road

Or: What I've Learned in Upstate New York

1. Without some sort of special programming, GPS units from the States don't work in Canada. Whoops.

2. Class in Oakland county doesn't even begin to compare to the kind of class they have here. A fully uniformed, smartly mannered concierge? Wow.

3. I am every bit the small-town girl, and it's apparent. Especially to the concierge.

4. At fancy hotels, no one swims in the pool. If you go down there to swim laps, you'll have the place all to yourself and be a source of amusement for the staff.

5. I am way too thrifty. OK, cheap. Even when the College is footing the bill, I'm having trouble coming to grips with the cost of breakfast here. $4.50 for a bowl of oatmeal?!?! I can buy a whole tub of instant oats for less than that. And an extra $3 to have it delivered to my room? Heavens, I am so much more at home in a Super 8 with a continental breakfast.

To be continued after tomorrow's college fair, I'm sure.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I didn't know you were in upstate NY! Nice! Too bad you actually want to use the amenities instead of gazing on them and remarking how you're too rich and important to actually use them. I'm telling you, the nerve of you small-town people. ;)

Keep us posted! This is good stuff.

And yes, Suit #1 was a better choice.

Ryan

P.S. Word verification: "Vabig." Sounds like some German synonym for "angsty" - "ich bin vabig."