"So take this broken offering and make me whole,
Set my feet upon the road that leads me home,
let me walk as one fixed upon the goal,
even though I've got a thousand miles to go..."

Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Back in the Saddle

What a bittersweet night: I got back on my bike but instead of cruising along the cornfields or twisting through the woods, I was perched atop the trainer. Watching Chris Carmichael push a room full of sweating bikers through an interval workout was not nearly as fun as riding trails or even the road, but trying to keep up was effective. I did half of his Mountain Biking DVD, which included five-four-three-two minute intervals of 30 seconds of high intensity and 30 seconds of medium intensity, with a minute and a half recovery between each interval. I was supposed to keep a cadence of 90 throughout the whole thing, but I only managed to achieve close to that during the high intensity sessions. During medium intensity, I had to drop down to 75 to keep my legs from falling off.

A lot of things are going to be competing for my attention this winter: mainly, grad school work. I need to make a conscious effort to schedule training into my days, though it won't be as much as I probably need. So the goal is three strength training workouts and two sessions on the trainer each week. I can take strength training class at lunch on Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays, and then I can hit the trainer on Tuesday and Thursday evenings. Weekends are always hit or miss, so I'll just work stuff in there when possible.

I also want to put more time and energy into my faith. We're starting a small group this Sunday with some other young couples from our church (I say "our church," but we haven't been to service since May) and I hope, with fewer out-of-town weekends planned over the next few months, that we can attend service more regularly.

Intellectual development, physical development and spiritual development...sounds like enough to keep my busy for awhile!

No comments: