"So take this broken offering and make me whole,
Set my feet upon the road that leads me home,
let me walk as one fixed upon the goal,
even though I've got a thousand miles to go..."

Wednesday, October 08, 2008

Random Thoughts from the Road

I'm just hanging out in my hotel room after a day of driving around, trying to find ways to avoid my finance book. This is probably my last out before tacking the chapter on risk and return...so here's what's on my mind, in no particular order:

The batteries on both my laptop and the office GPS unit are crap and can't hold a charge.

"Three Cups of Tea" is an awesome book to listen to while driving.

People are so amazingly friendly sometimes. Today, a lady at a local bookstore offered to email me some information I asked about; an elderly woman at an apple orchard gave me four apples for free when I asked if I could buy just a few rather than a whole bag; and another woman at a winery gave me a free tasting rather than making me pay, because she was so enthusiastic about a new wine that wasn't even out in local restaurants yet.

Central New York is gorgeous, and the colors are about a week ahead of those in Michigan. I wish Mitch were here to enjoy them with me.

It's hard for me to get in the swing of the "sales" part of my job; today, I essentially made cold calls to high schools and the first one was tough. But once I find my groove, I'm OK. Today, I feel it was much more worth Alma's money to send me out here than it was yesterday.

John McCain didn't completely disappoint me in the debate last night. And while we're on the subject of politics, I love this open letter to college students.

Tonight, I'm trying sushi for the first time with an Alma Trustee. Please, for the love of all that's holy, let me not hate it. Or at least let me be able to feign not hating it. And please let there be a McDonald's nearby in case I need it when this is all over.

Can you pray for safe travels as my college friend, Nate, comes home from Iraq on leave? Every time I want to complain about missing Mitch on my recruiting trips, I think about all the servicemen and women on deployment with wives and husbands at home, like Nate. God, I'm so blessed.

I'm hungry now...yes, another diversion! Finance, you'll have to wait until I quell the rumbling in my tummy!

No comments: