We never gave the cookies as gifts. If we were going to give edible gifts, we made something else, because those cookies were our cookies. Dad even used to make a big deal about putting our too many jam pockets for Santa, because he wanted them instead. And on Christmas morning, a new plate of cookies (not Santa's...those were gone...) would appear on the coffee table before we even started opening presents. Nothing like cookies for pre-breakfast!
In an uncharacteristic break with tradition, I made a completely different set of Christmas cookies the first year Mitch and I were married. I guess I wanted to try to put my own twist on the ritual, but my coconut macaroons flopped, my mocha cookies were less than spectacular, and everyone thought my orange creamsicle cookies were just a little too weird. So I went back to the tried-and-true, adding M&M cookies to satisfy Mitch's request for chocolate chip.
For the past two years, I've taken an entire day off work to bake with friends. It's such fun! Let's just say it's a good thing I'm making a special trip to the Rec Center at lunchtime!
No comments:
Post a Comment