"So take this broken offering and make me whole,
Set my feet upon the road that leads me home,
let me walk as one fixed upon the goal,
even though I've got a thousand miles to go..."

Monday, December 22, 2008

Christmas Countdown: The Nutcracker

Many of you know this, but I used to dance. From age three, I devoted a good number of hours each week to class: first, ballet and jazz, with modern and pointe eventually added. Our studio, the Dance Centre, did yearly recitals and mini productions of The Nutcracker at the Christmas party. But for three years, I auditioned for a received parts in the Brighton City Ballet's Nutcracker, a full-blown production. First I was a mouse, battling the Nutcracker Prince's soldiers and dejectedly carrying my own slain Mouse King off the stage. Then I was part of the snow scene as frost, which is not generally done. But I guess the BCB wanted to give some younger dancers then chance to perform in one of the most beautiful scenes. Finally, I was a snowflake and can still remember the feeling of my torso tightly encased in the white, shimmery costume, restricting my breath to tiny gasps while fake snow stuck to my sweaty skin in the most uncomfortable places.

(I found an amazing video of the snow scene if you'd like to watch. It's obviously performed by professional dancers, but we used similar choreography - not en pointe - even though I was only in middle school. And, interestingly, I've now discovered that the Brighton City Ballet has become the Fountain Dance Ministry, a Christian-focused dance school and company.)

I even have a couple Nutcrackers of my own:

No comments: