Now, nativity scenes:
I collect Precious Moments. I probably could have put that in the "Six Things You Don't Know About Me" post, because it's kind of a girly or old lady-ish hobby, but I love them. I used to receive one each year as either a birthday or Christmas present, and my dad even built me a special shelving unit on which to display them.
As a little girl, I loved all my Precious Moments. But the most special ones, my mom's Precious Moments nativity scene, only came out at Christmas. On the day we decorated our big family Christmas tree, my brother and I would set the manger my dad made on the living room bar and carefully place the three wise men, the shepherds, the sheep, the harp player, Mary, Joseph and finally Jesus in and around the manger. We loved Baby Jesus best and even took turns putting him out each year. Since we knew the three wise men didn't arrive until after Christmas, we put them outside the manger and inched them closer each day. There was ever a tiny pine cone that Bobby called "the dove cooing in the rafters" that we stuck up in the top of the manger.
As a wedding gift, I asked for and received my own Precious Moments nativity scene. My dad made me a manger identical to my mom's, but Bobby has yet to get me my dove. One of my favorite Christmas moments is still laying Baby Jesus tenderly in the center of the manger.
I also have a second nativity scene that I set up in my office. It's made of lovely glazed pottery and its rich tones go well with the deep cherry color of the credenza upon which it sits. I love looking over at it during the day and giving myself a few moments to think about the meaning of Christmas, even in the midst of my lengthy to-do lists and many meetings.
1 comment:
You've reminded me I need to put mine up! My family never had one when I was growing up, but I always loved them. The one I have now is (don't laugh) from Big Lots. I actually went through 5 or 6 boxes to find each perfect figurine.
My dream is to someday get a Fontanini set--they're made in Italy, gorgeous warm colors, very artistic.
Post a Comment