Some of my favorite things about this glorious four-day weekend:
Flowers on our anniversary! Last Wednesday marked four wonderful years of marriage, and Mitch treated me to a pretty bouquet featuring gerbera daisies from a "real flower show." They're still perched in a vase on our kitchen table, vibrant in all their red, yellow and purple glory
Spending an entire day with Mitch's family. My sister-in-law, Mariah, had it right in her most recent email to me when she said it was nice to have a whole day without having to rush around. We ate a leisurely meal (two turkeys - one from the deep fryer - plus tons of side dishes and desserts), cleaned up together, shared gift ideas for our husbands, played with our youngest nephew and engaged in a marathon game of Apples-to-Apples.
(Let's talk about Apples-to-Apples for a second: if the word was "odd" and someone played a card that said "The Pentagon," wouldn't you get it? No one got it! A building with five sides...an odd number...come on!)
Another favorite thing: spending two lovely days in Traverse City with Mitch. A couple months ago, we wanted to go on a getaway for the two of us, but we were really burned out after all the weddings, races and other events this summer. We decided to take an anniversary trip to a place where we could book a hotel, show up and have a great time: no researching, very little planning. For us, Traverse was the perfect choice. Mitch made reservations for Friday night at a nice B&B in Sutton's Bay, and we spent Friday and Saturday touring local wineries and shopping for Christmas gifts. Some of the best things: Enerdyne, a nature/science/toy store in Sutton's Bay; tasty cheese purchased at Blackstar; passion fruit margaritas at the Red Mesa; and Forty-Five North, a new winery on the Leelanau Peninsula.
You might think this one is weird: cleaning the apartment. I am a neat freak, but ever since I started graduate school in September, big housework things like dusting just don't seem to get done as regularly as I'd like. After church on Sunday, I spent most of the day cleaning, reorganizing and completing my Christmas decorating. Our apartment looks, smells and feels just perfect!
I just hinted at this one: the beginning of the Christmas season. For me, Christmastime begins right after Thanksgiving. I love my nativity scenes (yes, I have two: a Precious Moments one for home and another one for my office), my snowmen, my Santa Bears. Most of all, I love our gorgeous tree, but I have to wait for that beauty. We're cutting it this weekend and putting it up the following weekend. You can bet I will post photos!
Speaking of Christmas, I am pleased to report I am almost done with my Christmas shopping. I still need to buy for a few family members and the twin boys from one of the families our office adopted, but that's it. My favorite gifts so far: probably the cool Built lunch bags I bought a couple friends. Mitch's gifts should be pretty sweet, too...but no, baby, I'm not going to post those on here! :)
And finally, the snow. We got quite a bit by mid-Michigan standards last night. It's pretty thick and heavy, so all the trees are coated and campus looks like a winter wonderland. Maybe we can build a snowman this evening, if Mitch doesn't get to go downstate to pick up his new mountain bike. Or maybe I'll just curl up under my favorite flannel quilt with hot cocoa, Christmas music and a good book (I'm currently rereading Little Women, which I've surprisingly read less often than Gone With the Wind), and admire the snow outside.
'Tis the season!
No comments:
Post a Comment