"So take this broken offering and make me whole,
Set my feet upon the road that leads me home,
let me walk as one fixed upon the goal,
even though I've got a thousand miles to go..."

Monday, January 19, 2009

Mad Dash

That's what last week felt like: a mad dash to the weekend. On Sunday, I smacked myself upside the head and finally realized that I had a ton of homework to do and not nearly enough time in which to do it. After lounging away my Saturday and a good deal of Sunday, I had until 7 pm on Friday to learn two chapters for stats and turn in a set of corresponding homework problems; find, read and summarize about fifteen journal articles on job training; and outline the group paper on job training. This doesn't sound like all that much, but with work all day and two celebratory dinners inducting me into my late twenties, I was pretty strapped for time. So I took the day off work on Wednesday and spent it camped out at the kitchen table. I slogged through confidence intervals, hypothesis testing and analysis of variance (we'll see how well I've mastered the material when I take my exam tonight) and learned all about behavior modeling training, the impact of age on the effectiveness of training and that there is something known as Pygmalion management. By the time Friday afternoon rolled around, I was able to shove all that out of my mind and focus instead on my long-anticipated weekend plans: skiing in Searchmont!

As always, we had a grand time. Six of us stayed in a cottage about half an hour from the resort and skied all day on Saturday. It was cold, but the snow was great. I'll post some photos when I have them uploaded! We learned a very important lesson, though:

The best place to buy alcohol in Canada is Michigan.

Suffice to say, we ran out of booze at 8:30 pm on Saturday night. So we went to bed at 11:00 pm. So much for an all-night party!

And unfortunately, all of the above is another way of saying that I did not get on the trainer all week. I did strength training (excessive lunges before a day of skiing is not advised) but it's hard to do power intervals when your nose is stuck in a book! This week will be better...

No comments: