"So take this broken offering and make me whole,
Set my feet upon the road that leads me home,
let me walk as one fixed upon the goal,
even though I've got a thousand miles to go..."

Monday, February 20, 2006

The Great Ice Storm

I've posted a time or two since we got slammed with this ice storm, but I thought it was worth going back to. Personally, I was not all that bummed by the weather because I got sent home from work early on Thursday. No one knew how long it would be before the rain started to really freeze, so by 4 pm I was home - and I hadn't come in until 11 am because it was my day for swing shift. I worked from my home computer for awhile (in pajama pants, eating a bag of popcorn!) and was settling down to read some scholarship apps when Mitch came home. Obviously I took a few minutes to relax with him on the couch, and then....BBBBYYYYEEEEWWWW. Power want out. Mitch was ecstatic - "Get the headlamps!" - and we had a great evening of grilling our entire dinner, eating by candle/flashlight, and playing board games with Mitch's coworker and her sister, who live in our apartment complex. I was a bit nervous about our apartment getting really cold, but the power was back by 1:30 am. Unfortunately, our bedroom light switch was flipped on, so we awoke with a big jolt!

Friday was a bit of a bummer at work because I had two girls who were supposed to visit and they didn't really make it because of all the snow to the North. I had a few cancellations for the Honors event we were hosting on Saturday, but that actually turned out to be a great day.

Yesterday we slept in nice and late, probably due to the fact that we hung fleece blankets over the drafty windows in our bedroom and now it's dark (and pretty ghetto). We made it to church on time, and it was really nice to go after missing it since December. Then we broke in our waffle maker and did some laundry before I headed off with Lori Cargill to see the Alma College Theatre Company perform Major Barbara. It was, um, long. Props to the actors and actresses, but the thing was tedious. Anyway, we return to find Mitch has made a phenominal apple/cherry pork roast AND finished all the laundry! I don't think I'll be trading this man in EVER!

Today is New Boss Day for us...we finally have a director! It's also a bank holiday, which means I left Mitch curled up in our warm bed this morning and had to start my own car. Geez, I'm spoiled.

No comments: