Amanda is a perky, put-together gal who loves to cook and wants to look great on the beaches of Mexico this spring. Melissa is a slim, pretty bride-to-be who wants to look her best on her summer wedding day. Dena is a no-nonsense, efficient mom trying to get fit and healthy.
These girls are my team. The four of us work out together three days a week in the Rec Center's multi-purpose room. We grab weights, steps, fit balls and mats, blast some music and take turns concocting exercises for the various muscle groups. It's not focused. It's not systematic. But we work our butts off for almost an hour, offering encouraging words and commiserating when someone brings a particularly torturous exercise to our workouts.
I never would have chosen this team, and I've never worked out like this. As a high school and college athlete, my workouts were not about feeling good or looking good: they were about performance, and everyone doing the rills or running the ladders was intense. We were focused, determined and not in need of encouragingpats on the back. The reward was the place, the medal, the personal best, the trip to States. I did any outside-of-practice training with either guys or other intensely competitive girls.
So I was a loner in the weight room last year, when I started getting ready for my first season of mountain bike racing. I'd ask coworkers if they wanted to come down to the Rec with me, but if anyone had taken me up on it, I'd do my thing and they'd do theirs. My training didn't carry the gravity it did in high school but I was still focused. Needing both internal and external motivation, however, my best intentions didn't always pan out. Then I started going to a strength training class in the Rec with Amanda and Melissa. I'll admit, I did it more to build friendships than get a good workout, but it turned out to be a really good class that often made just the process of getting out of bed a bit tricky.
The class ended right before Christmas, but the three of us felt we could keep going on our own. Dena joined after the New Year and, even with the varying levels of athleticism, coordination, fitness and strength, we're all seeing some tangible benefits. We're even signing up for a team-based weight-loss competition; only two girls have real weight-loss goals, but part of the battle is motivation and, as a team, we can provide a healthy dose of that!
Because of these girls, I've learned that I don't have to be so intense to get results; that you can train effectively even when everyone's out there for different reasons; and that challenge and competition isn't the only way to interact in training. Maybe it's more realistic, at this stage in my life and athletic career, to find this kind of camaraderie rather than the "push it" mentality of my former teammates and friends.
These girls are my team. I might not of picked them but I sure wouldn't trade them. They'll never ride with me - except maybe on the rail trail - but their friendship and support motivates me. We usually attribute parts of our success to effective coaches or strong teammates who are striving for the same goals as we pursue. As for me, I'll give a good deal of credit for any success I have on the trail to an aspiring chef, a former cheerleader and a Wii Fit devotee.
2 comments:
It's nice to have people push you and it sounds like you have a motivated group. I can never seem to find anyone to go to the gym with me at 3:45am.
3:45 am?!?!?
Post a Comment